YS-90DX and YS-90 Auto help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I understand that the YS-90 Auto is the newer model and better dsigned to work with digital cameras. I was planning on getting one for my Oly C-5060 with PT-020 housing next month when an incredible deal came my way for a YS-90DX.

I know that the YS-90X works with my camera (seller uses a 5050) as well and by looking at the specs on
Sea & Sea's web site, they seem nearly identical. I can get about 40 flashes and about 200 degrees more K on the color temp, plus the F stops are different.

Does anyone have the DX for their Oly or have experience with both strobes?

This is a really good deal but I'm also afriad that I may be settling for something less appropriate for what I need, which I'm willing to do if it's not too big of a difference.

thanks

I use the YS90 DX with a 5050. I've used it with both the fiber optic synch cord and with Matthias Heinrich's TTL adaptor. It's worked well though failed on a trip last year. I'll be sending it off soon in hopes that it can be repaired.

Renee,

The YS-90 Auto has some circuitry that allows you to use it as a 'smart' strobe - kind of like it does the TTL metering and controls itself for the exposure.

The YS-90DX seems to be the same strobe without the 'smarts'. If you use it with the Fiber Optic Cable or with Matthias Heinrich's TTL adaptor, you will get a great result.

Either one will work fine; the Auto gives you a few more tricks.

If you don't buy the DX, let me know, I'm looking for one for a backup.

The 90DX is actually the much better strobe for most uses. It can be used in non TTL situations where you adjust the strobe power yourself. If your housing has TTL as the IKE or L & M housings do, you can use set the strobe to TTL and let the camera set the power.

Many people do not like the 90 Auto as the performance does not provide consistent lighting.

If you can get one at a good price go for it, they a quite durable. I have one with over 120 dives on it and absolutely no problems. It is not super powerful but a good all around option.

We have a DX that we use with our 5060. It has over 100 dives with it and we have had no problems. I love the fact that the battery compartment is sealed so that even if it floods, the circuitry of the strobe will not. We had a small leak due to a piece of lint early on but just dryed it out and have had no further problems.
Be sure to buy the blue cap Sea and Sea silicone grease for the o ring. According to Cathy Church other types/brands of lubricant can cause their o rings to swell and could cause a flood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom