YS-90DX With Pt-015 Bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wayne007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm having a real prblem with the combo of a YS-90DX and PT-015. When I use the Sea & Sea frame, I lose the PT-015 counter weight. Does anyone know if Sea & Sea offers a way to counter weight the rig?

Wayne

wayne007:
I'm having a real prblem with the combo of a YS-90DX and PT-015. When I use the Sea & Sea frame, I lose the PT-015 counter weight. Does anyone know if Sea & Sea offers a way to counter weight the rig?

Wayne

Do you mean you're using a S&S tray? The only time I use the weight on my 5050/PT-15 is when I'm NOT using a strobe. But there is a tripod screw available that has a female hole that will accept the counterweight. I can't remember where I got mine.

Dee:
I'm Using the DX Stay which is ligh weight plastic. Since the YS-90DX has positive bouyancy and the PT-015 is positive without the counter weight, the whole unit want to float up constantly. Seem like I have a unique problem.

Wayne

Dee:
Do you mean you're using a S&S tray? The only time I use the weight on my 5050/PT-15 is when I'm NOT using a strobe. But there is a tripod screw available that has a female hole that will accept the counterweight. I can't remember where I got mine.

I looked at the DX on the S&S web site and it looks like you could do what I have done with a home made base. The base of the P-15 is a standard 1/4 20 thead. Take the Oly weight and the stay to your local hardware store and buy a SS 1/4-20 machine screw that is as long as or longer than you need and thread it through the weight, the stay and into the PT-15. If the screw is a little too long you can add a washer or 2. It can also be cut with a hack saw or better yet a Dremel tool. If you cut it, be sure to install 1 or 2 nuts on the screw before cutting. When removed, they will act as dies and clean the threads if you mess them up a little.

Forgive the pictures, I did this quickly but here are a couple of photos that go along with my post above. Note that the Oly weight can be installed 2 ways, one way will require the screw to be longer than the other.

herman:
I looked at the DX on the S&S web site and it looks like you could do what I have done with a home made base. The base of the P-15 is a standard 1/4 20 thead. Take the Oly weight and the stay to your local hardware store and buy a SS 1/4-20 machine screw that is as long as or longer than you need and thread it through the weight, the stay and into the PT-15. If the screw is a little too long you can add a washer or 2. It can also be cut with a hack saw or better yet a Dremel tool. If you cut it, be sure to install 1 or 2 nuts on the screw before cutting. When removed, they will act as dies and clean the threads if you mess them up a little.

Herman:

Thamks, I think you're right, I'll try it.

Wayne

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom