YS-D1 - Cracking on Case at Ball Mount Strobe Adaptor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MermaidLaura

Registered
Reaction score
Hello there!

A friend of mine pointed out that both my YS-D1 strobes had cracks on them and that he had noticed a number of other YS-D1 strobes had the same problem.

There appears to be a weak point where you attach either the ball adaptor or the YS-Adaptor to the strobe. The cracks are just above the silver plate that is visible on the clear part of the underneath of the strobe. At first I thought it was just how the plastic case was moulded, but I looked at another strobe and saw that it did not have this mark.

I have been inspecting the strobes more closely since then, and noticed the the cracks have grown very quickly over the past 2 dives. The silver plate has also started turning white where it is getting corroded, which means that water is getting in to this part of the casing.

I now expect one of two things to happen - either the strobe housing will crack through completely and I will lose the strobe; or the strobe will leak and the electronics will fry. Either way, I am going to lose both my strobes due to this fault in the near future.

I look after my camera gear with kid gloves as it has taken a lot of money to accumulate and I am very gentle with my equipment. This is very upsetting as I have only had them for 2 years and cannot replace them at this stage.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did you do?

And to anyone else with these strobes - keep an eye out before you lose your strobes :/

You could try to be proactive and fix the cracks now with a good underwater epoxy.

Bill

Could you attach some photos to let the rest of us know what to look for?

Back
Top Bottom