YS110 and Color Temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHugger

Contributor
Reaction score
Sold the house and ordered a YS110 :D , now waiting to get it. In the meantime I have two concerns. In a previous life of film photography, I was accustomed to strobes with 5700 light temperatures. The YS110 is said to be 5100 with diffuser. Is this too warm? Am I going to have to adjust WB? And if so, which direction +/- red?

Also, the specifications indicate a beam angle of 105 with diffuser. Can anyone say what is the angle without diffuser? And finally, is hot spot a problem without the diffuser?

ReefHugger

Agree with the above, IMHO, color temp in the ranges that we talk ablout wrt strobes, is mostly personal preference. Some people like cooler colors, I tend to go a little warmer. In the end, i buy a strobe based more on recycle time, lite output, coverage, weight and size. Shoot RAW and adjust WB based on your own preference.

take care,
John

Thanks dbh & jarhed for your replies. To a certain extent, however, you have both confirmed my fears. Unfortunately, I cannot shoot RAW. I can shoot TIFF but don't know if it will WB like RAW. I can however adjust WB when shooting.

Lots of experimenting to come and looking forward to it!

dbh:
Oh yea....I ALWAYS have my diffusers on !

Dave

Why would you always have your diffusers on?:confused: Are you trying to soften the shadows or control the power?

I rarely shoot with them on as I can get much more interesting lighting effects with the straight strobe light. I don't need them to control the power and for wide angle shots I am usually at full power anyhow. Personally I think the diffuser makes for a flatter picture (the light is more even and less interesting)..

just my 0.02.:wink:

dbh:
The diffusers widen the beam for WA and softens it for macro (helps to eliminate "burning" anything).

Works for me....might not for others.

Dave

Yea, I know what they are for, just I haven't felt the need for them.

I guess I haven't experienced the "burning" issue with the settings I shoot with and the strobe positions I use. As far as being wide enough, I have two that I put on dual 12" arms (so they are up to 24" away from the camera on both sides. Anyhow, that gives me pretty wide coverage for what I need and I don't use the diffuser because it drops the effective power of the strobe when I am trying to get more light.

As you said.. it works for you.. Just haven't heard of people using the diffuser all the time so I thought it was odd.. Maybe I'm the odd one here.. :D

I'm with Dave on this one - I always have them on whether I'm shooting Macro, WA or something in between. I just find that the lighting is too harsh without them. I mostly dive in water that has some sort of particulate floating around and with the diffusers it seems less obvious in the images.

rjsimp:
As far as being wide enough, I have two that I put on dual 12" arms (so they are up to 24" away from the camera on both sides.

I use one 8" & one 5" per side but when I shoot WA, my strobes are very close to my housing and pointed out about 45 degrees. I know many people who like sticking them out pretty far....but it goes back to "whatever works for you". There is no right way or wrong way.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom