YS110 and Color Temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think you will notice the color temp difference very much. Maybe in a side by side comparison of images, but not overall. Water, whether it's the green of freshwater or the blue of saltwater renders colors in a cooler color temp. So the warmer hue of the strobe should help.

Regarding diffusers. They are helpful in throttling down a strobe for macro and spreading the strobe beam for W/A shots. However, with particulates in the water, they may make the problem worse. It is possible to adjust an undiffused strobe so you are only using the near edge of the beam to illuminate your subject. This reduces illumination of the particles suspended in the water column between your lens and subject.

dbh:
I use one 8" & one 5" per side but when I shoot WA, my strobes are very close to my housing and pointed out about 45 degrees. I know many people who like sticking them out pretty far....but it goes back to "whatever works for you". There is no right way or wrong way.

Dave

Actually there is a right and wrong way with some fundamentals of strobe placement for underwater shots. If you are having issues with seeing back scatter in the water, having the strobes anywhere close to your housing (even pointed out 45 degrees) will make this issue worse. The reason I get the strobes a long ways away from the camera is so I can angle them back towards the subject. This lights the opposite side of particulate in the water so the wide angle lense can't see it and you get a crystal clear photo with absolutely no back scatter even in water with a lot of floating sand and other particulate.

If you can envision how your strobes are aimed out away from the housing at 45 degrees and what a wide angle lense sees, you are lighting the particulate on the side the camera sees. If you use a 10.5 mm lense on the D200, it is almost 180 degrees while other wide angle lenses will be less than the 180 degrees you are still lighting the wrong side of the particulate and that would explain why you probably see backscatter on your wide angle shots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom