Yucatan experts..Is this itinerary "do-able" for an 8 day trip to the Yucatan area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jennfl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
:idk:Planning a future trip in September. We've been to the area several times. Familiar with driving, and taking buses, and collectivos. My boyfriend is Mexican and speaks spanish, so this helps a lot!!

We want to explore some other places this time, and check out the scuba diving in different spots too.

Does this schedule sound crazy? Anyone see problems?

Day 1. Arrive in Cancun 11am and take ADO bus to Playa, then ferry to Cozumel. Check into hotel by 3pm

Day 2. Dive in Cozumel

Day 3. Ferry to Playa in the morning, rent a car and drive to Mahahual, get there by 4 or 5pm (taking our time)

Day 4. Relax and explore Mahahual

Day 5. Dive in Mahahual (Chinchorro if possible, but the Mahahual reef if not able to get to Chinchorro).

Day 6. Leave Mahahual and drive back to Playa Del Carmen. Arrive by 2pm. Drop off rental car and take bus to Puerto Morelos.

Day 7. Relax and explore Puerto Morelos

Day 8. Dive in Puerto Morelos

Day 9. Leave Puerto Morelos by 8am on ADO bus to Cancun airport, and get on flight at 12 noon.

You may not be in your Coz hotel by 3, and I'm not sure about the bus stops in PM, but looks like any easy plan as long as you are time flexible.. What info did you need?

Last edited:
I'm no Yucatan expert, but I have been staying in Playa for the past week. If you only want to dive Cozumel one day, it would maybe be better to do it as a day trip from Playa. Any good dive shop in Playa will help coordinate with a shop in Coz. The standard trip we did twice was catch the 10 am ferry to Coz (carrying our gear in large mesh backpacks that the dive shop provided), transfer to the dive boat at 11 am at the Coz ferry terminal, 2 dives, then catch the 5 pm ferry back. The second trip, we missed the 5 pm, so took the 6 pm. The ferry is 140 Mex pesos each way for tourists, but I think only 60 for locals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom