Yucatan Peninsula to Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aliltexgal

Registered
Reaction score
Planning a trip - fly into Cancun get a car - drive down the coast stopping for sightseeing and diving - Tulum, Majahual, Xcalak... want to go to Ambergris Caye to dive for a few days next. How can we get there from across the peninsula? Ferry? Boat? Can we get car there? Only advice I have had is drive to Chetumal and take ferry but this seems out of the way if we are going all the way down to Xcalak. We have never taken this trip - so any advice would be appreciated.

There is no road access from the Mexican Yucatan to Ambergris Caye, nor AFAIK is there a scheduled boat service. You would have to drive to Chetumal near the land border, but I suspect you wouldn't be able to bring the car across the border. Take a taxi or (maybe) a bus across the border to Corozal and either fly or ferry direct to San Pedro. Or you can take the new ferry service direct from Chetumal to San Pedro if it's running on the day and at the time you want.

Thanks for info - Chetumal to San Pedro ferry is what I had heard about. Do you know if we can leave the car there? If we want to stay a few days for R&R and diving... advise where to go on Ambergris Cay? Place to stay? Dive Center? We are both a young 50, but do not need nightlife. Thanks for any info.

I am sure you can leave the car there, though what security arrangements exist I have no idea. Might be better to check the car back in if you can, so it's no longer your responsibility.

As to where to go once here, there is an enormous range. Backpackers and the like (regardless of age and actual wealth - it's more a state of mind than of pocket) like to stay at Pedro's Inn. or there are lots of small and large hotels in and around San Pedro. I'd suggest that for you it might not make sense to go to one of the more distant resorts, though if timing works out it could be a good solution. I've just returned from a few days at Tranquility Bay well north of San Pedro, about as far north as you can go without entering Mexico - in fact, if you were to pre-arrange it with them you might be able to persuade them to come to Xcalak to pick you up. They did a day trip there for some guests while I was there.

Otherwise have a look at the accommodation listed at Belize Lodging Guide, Resorts, Hotels, Accommodations, Reservations, Rooms in Belize and post back here or PM me.

As to who to dive with, a lot depends on where you decide to stay. Tranquility Bay has its own dive center and there are a few more scattered down the coast on the way to San Pedro. San Pedro itself has many.

Carlos and Isabel, the manager's at Tranquility Bay will definately ensure your total satisfaction and if you contact them in advance, they might even be able to pick you up at Xcalak. If you are planning on doing a lot of Diving in San Pedro, I would suggest you stay near by town. My favorite dive operators in town are Chuck and Robbies, and Ecologic Divers. Check them out! For hotels, you can go to Pedros Inn, Conch Shell or Changes in Latitudes. I know places like Caribbean Villas, Victoria House, Banyan Bay and Xanadu offer accommodations with Dive Packages you can take advantage of. Contact them, their staff will be happy to assist you. Have a wonderful trip to Belize!

Thanks for the info - I will check these places out. Certainly is nice to get info ahead of time from divers that have been there and done that....:)

I dived at Majahual last year ago and at that time, they were still doing a lot of work to recover from the huricane but the diving sites were fine. The drift dive at Xcalak was a blast! If you are driving, you could continue on down to Placencia. Nice village with lots of accommodation to fit any budget, good dive sites including Laughing Bird National Park, lots of things to do on land nearby ranging from jungle trips (Monkey River, Cockscombe Jaguar preserve, ruins, restaurants and bars, etc). If you need any help, contact Splash Dive Shop at splashbelize.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom