z-240 vs d-2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am debating between these two strobes? Any pro's or con's? I have a nikon p5100 in ikelite housing. I know the 240 is a stronger strobe, but will that benefit me much since my current rig is good, but far from top of the line? (not d-slr)

The Z240 is capable of hard wire TTL, the D/S2000 strobes are not. If wired TTL is not a need for you then the D2000 is the bomb. Even many dSLR shooters use optical links but if you plan to move that direction then just keep that in mind.

The D2000 is a quantum leap beyond your AF35 and will probably satisfy all of your needs for seasons to come. N

The Z240 is capable of hard wire TTL, the D/S2000 strobes are not. If wired TTL is not a need for you then the D2000 is the bomb. Even many dSLR shooters use optical links but if you plan to move that direction then just keep that in mind.

The D2000 is a quantum leap beyond your AF35 and will probably satisfy all of your needs for seasons to come. N
Thanks nemrod, I was told by a dealer that the z240 is "twice as powerful", although I question how much that actually will translate into the the real world? I do a lot of diving in NC with the sand tiger sharks, and have seem some great photos, but my AF35 is not powerful enough to give me a good pic of them.
TTL is not a big deal as ikelite states on their website that the housing are only TTL compatible with ikelite strobes, not other manufacturers, but I do not like the fact that ikelite strobes do not accept AA batteries, which is a problem if I am doing 4 dives a day in Bonaire.

Power smaower !?!? ttl smeetl !?!?

As my sig line states, I use a very powerful Ike film strobe with a very old digital P&S. How much does that translate into the real world? For starters, even when I had ttl capability (Nikonus V) I did not use it.

When shooting most animals within 1-4 feet I rarely use more than 1/4 power, mostly 1/8 power. I have onboard memory for ~200 raw images and I can strobe every one of them up to 1/2 power.

The recycle is faster, so whenever the camera is ready to fire the strobe is too. Not sure about 240 vs 2000, but I have 100 deg coverage without a diffuser, so I can shoot my WAL without much thought. Speaking of diffuser, plenty of power to compensate for the diffuser's reduction in guide number when I do use it.

As far as batteries are concerned, a second Ike battery is not that much different than a second set of AA's. After all we are underwater photographers and it is only money :)

Finally, I can set the camera to high speed continuous and the strobe will fire for all 4 shots, which is something most say just can't be done (including with dslr's).

Not that any of this had anything to do with the OP, but what are you going to do?

Thanks nemrod, I was told by a dealer that the z240 is "twice as powerful", although I question how much that actually will translate into the the real world? I do a lot of diving in NC with the sand tiger sharks, and have seem some great photos, but my AF35 is not powerful enough to give me a good pic of them.
TTL is not a big deal as ikelite states on their website that the housing are only TTL compatible with ikelite strobes, not other manufacturers, but I do not like the fact that ikelite strobes do not accept AA batteries, which is a problem if I am doing 4 dives a day in Bonaire.

The D2000 is GN20 and the Z240 is GN24. That is a good increase in power certainly if you think you need it. The D2000 is not exactly weak.

Nemrod,
put that in terms a dummy like me can understand. If I have a big ole sand tiger swim up to me, how many more feet deep will a strobe with a GN of 24 light up vs a GN of 20? I know for stuff under four feet a way or so, the difference is not needed.

It really is not depth, it is distance to the subject.

GN/Distance = f stop

Now, you figure out what you need :wink:. Take GNs with a grain of salt, especially between different brands. I believe the Inon GNs are adjusted for underwater output, if it is a surface GN I think you reduce it by 50%, not sure on that, I will remember in a few minutes.

N

Hey, I was trying to recall the surface vs underwater thing and still have not but I found this page, very good explanation and it agree with me, Nemrod, lol.

Using the Strobe

Notice the part where he says adding a second strobe does not double your distance, just your coverage.

N

If the numbers are adjusted for UW use, then for a given fStop the z240 will light the same shark the same brightness 4 feet further away than the d2000. Take a look at this site for some good info.
underwater strobes - best choice and features|Underwater Photography Guide

In that table (which I helped develop) it suggests that the GN for the d2000 is 10 meters and for the z240 is 12 meters which means it is more like 6 feet further away that you will be able to light the shark up. That being said, this is only for perfectly clear water in the pool, in the green stuff we have here in california at the moment all you will do is make a whole lot more backscatter.

Hope this helps
Bill

Let me add, that calculations should be done in meters unless you want yet another conversion.

N

Back
Top Bottom