Z2 hum/rattle on exhale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CTro

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I just dive our new Z2 regs for the first time yesterday. We both noticed that at the surface breathing check on exhale the second stages rattled/hummed. Did not notice it at all at once under water. Is this normal or is some minor adjustment needed.

Really great reg by the way!

Sometimes the exhaust valves on a second stage get a little dried out and adheres slightly to the reg body resulting in a humming or even goose like honking sound. A couple of minute in water usually solves the issue. If you're worried about it pressurize them on a tank and dunk them in the sink a few times.

The Atomics are known to honk a bit on the surface. Usually it's on inhale though... Not a problem though.

Every reg i ever dived with honked a bit on the surface... I don't think my atomics have it more than the ones i tried before during certification.

The Atomics are known to honk a bit on the surface. Usually it's on inhale though... Not a problem though.

You're absolutely right. To amend my earlier comment - it's not uncommon to hear a honking on inhalation and more of a raspberry sound on exhalation on a regulator that has been dry for some time. The solution is the same - get them wet.

Yea. That's usually a start of season thing with my regs. After being hung up in my equipment room during the winter I will get it from the Legend but haven't had the micra or z2x do it. Nothing I would worry about

Thanks everyone for the responses and I apologize for my tardiness! Yes, the "goose honking" is quite common with regs and will go away underwater! Thanks again everyone.

Atomic Aquatics

Thanks again to everyone and to Atomic for responding. It's that kind of customer attention that made me feel comfortable spending a bit more for atomic gear.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom