Zeagle Escape - Positive buoyancy problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all of this - sounds to me like I might be worrying about nothing on the weighting - but there's some tips here that should definitely help.

Originally posted by jonnythan
BTW, did the guy mention why exactly you'll "get yourself killed" with the Escape? Sounds like he's just so pissed about you buying online he's lying to you to make you scared. Better business through FUD!

I think the argument was that if I were unconcious I would come to the surface floating face down and drown. Struck me as an odd argument at the time, but this guy is a very experienced diver. Taken with other things he said about the reg I'd got which appear also to be bovine residue I have concluded that he's just annoyed that I didn't buy from him and is being pretty unreasonable about it. He'd already got $800 out of me for courses and assorted other things (including a 3mm wetsuit), so it seems pretty petty. And in the long run it hasn't really worked out for him, because I no longer trust him and have no wish to continue training there - which given that I plan a summer of dive education could have been quite a lot of money.

It's a real shame - and I look enviously at people on this board who talk about their great relationship with their LDS - wish I had!

Dear Grunt,

I too have a Zeagle Escape. I'm a female 5ft 8in.
150 lbs. I know what you mean about getting down.
I usually go down about 6ft or so then stop. I usually
turn head down and kick my way down. Once I'm down,
I'm down. Now, if I'm usually 80cu Aluminum, I will use 22 lbs.
If I'm using 72cu Steel, 18 lbs is fine. Overall, I'm very pleased
with the BC. It's comfortable, especially with the back pad.
It's great for short waisted people. I tried a Zeagle Ranger and
found it too bulky.
I also dive with a 7mil Henderson hyperstretch.
Happy Diving !!! Donna S.

Grunt: I had the same scenario with my Local Dive Shop (LDS)

My local dive shop really talks down the internet sites selling gear saying their are no waranties, the stuff is dangerous, no service, etc. I get better service, way better prices, and have less gear problems using LeisurePro than my LDS.

Our LDS happens to sell Zeagle and we used to rent the Escape. We definetly had air trapping due to the "U" shaped bladder and cords that rap around the bladder. I was way overweighted with this BC. Part of this was my own fault as I get pretty excited when I first get into the water.

I like the Zeagle Escape but found a BC a like better. (Sherwood Freedom) The Zeagle packs a little better, but the Sherwood is a great BC.

In summary, I abandonded my Local Dive Shop as they ran it like a fraternity not a business. I'll go to the place that gives me the best service, stands behind the stuff they sell, and offers reasonable prices. Our LDS feels like the customer is lucky they have a LDS and we "need" to support them or we won't have a place to rent tanks or dive. We have 3 LDS and I have no desire to dive in Nebraska. We purchased our own gear, get information on the boards, and purchase online. Since then, we have been much happier!

I have an Aqualung Malibu (air bladder in rear), and I am also having some buoyancy problems which may be related to trapped air. I get to the bottom ok, but then, as my tank become more buoyant, I start to float towards the surface. So I go to release some air from the BC to offset this, but can't. This has happened three times. Each time, my dive buddy has got behind me and played with the air bladder and valve until I can discharge the air. One time I was lucky that I was on a ledge and able to grab a rock until I got help.

I notice now when I get this trapped air that I can correct it by giving first a very short blast of air, immediately followed by opening the valve. However, it's a little stressful pushing the air button when your GAINING buoyancy at depth. I have read from others that their BC has a valve not only over the left shoulder, but the right as well. This would seem like a good design feature to prevent trapped air, but my BC does not have that.

So, I guess my question is, which BC is LEAST likely to have trapped air. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom