Zeagle Escape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fabitolindo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am thinking about buying the Zeagle Escape BC and I would like to hear some coments about it. How many valves does it have? Is it really light or is it still sort of bulky? How does that "ripcord" weight system works? Is it easy to assemble? Is it safe? Is air trapping really an essue? Is anything I should know before buying it?
I you have the Escape or Had it, please just send me a comment, plus and minus, or any other information you have.

Thanks,
Fabito

Originally posted by fabitolindo
Hi,
I am thinking about buying the Zeagle Escape BC and I would like to hear some coments about it. How many valves does it have? Is it really light or is it still sort of bulky? How does that "ripcord" weight system works? Is it easy to assemble? Is it safe? Is air trapping really an essue? Is anything I should know before buying it?
I you have the Escape or Had it, please just send me a comment, plus and minus, or any other information you have.

Thanks,
Fabito

OK - I am not a big equipment expert but I just got one of these, and have used it for a couple of dives only. Your questions:

1. Valves - I assume you mean places for letting the air out - I'm aware of three - at the end of the hose (the button), where the hose meets the jacket (if you tug on it) and at the back bottom left where there's one of those emergency dumps with the little cord.
2. It's lighter than your average BC but still has some weight to it. It packs down quite small though.
3. The ripcord's simple - if you tug it a plastic cord comes away that had been holding nylon loops shut which had held the front weight pockets closed at the bottom (note that it doesn't dump the weights in the back weight pockets). It's a pain to thread back after you've used it, but in an emergency I'd want it over fiddling with a belt.
4. I don't know how easy it is to assemble, as I bought it online and they delivered it assembled and checked. It looks pretty straightforward though.
5. I'm not dead yet, so I guess it's safe.
6. I did have a problem sinking at the start of the dive, but I don't think it was air trapping. As long as you remember to raise your left shoulder slightly it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Generally, I found it very comfortable and I loved the diving position that it gave me under the water - felt very unencumbered and streamlined. On the surface with back weights in and the BS properly deflated (not overinflated) I was quite comfortable, although it did tend to eventually topple backwards or forwards if I didn't correct myself. But not a problem really. It seems well made and sturdy to.

Compared to rental BCs I've had in the past it is great - but I can't compare it with other BCs of a similar price.

Hi,
Thanks for your answer! I have just a few other questions: Can you remove the weight without having to pull the ripcord? Like if you want to give your weight to people on the boat before climbing up. Or everytime you do that you would have to thread the system back?
I am thinking about buying it on-line and I am a little worried about sizing, maybe you can help me. I about 1,80meters high weighting 74 Kilos, I use a double piece 5mm neoprene suit. When I rent a BC (usualy the mares vector or the aqualung wave) I use the Medium size. Do you have any ideia about which size should I buy?

Thanks,

Fabito

Can you remove the weight without having to pull the ripcord? Like if you want to give your weight to people on the boat before climbing up. Or everytime you do that you would have to thread the system back?

No - they're zipper pockets that you drop the weights into, and you can just take them out again. It's just that if you pull the cord the bottom of the pockets opens - so I suppose if you were upside down and tried to dump your weights by pulling the cord nothing would happen - you'd have to unzip the pockets.

I am thinking about buying it on-line and I am a little worried about sizing, maybe you can help me. I about 1,80meters high weighting 74 Kilos, I use a double piece 5mm neoprene suit. When I rent a BC (usualy the mares vector or the aqualung wave) I use the Medium size. Do you have any ideia about which size should I buy?

You're about the same size as me (5'9" and 170lbs) and I went for a medium. They are very adjustable, so even if you are a bit bigger you'll be able to adjust it.

What you have to bear in mind with the Escape I think is that it is a good value back-inflate BC, with all the advantages and disadvantages of a back-inflate BC (which has been written about extensively on here). Personally, I found it a real pleasure to dive with.

Hello,

I know this answer is a bit late, but I'm knew to this
site. I have a Zeagle Escape. I love it. I'm female and
find the fit sooo comfortable. I have friends who use the
"Ranger". I have used it as well and find it a bit bulky.
The price is great for what you get. Enjoy !!!!
Donna S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom