Zeagle Express Tech (44lb) - bit of advice por favor: too floppy with a single??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

does anyone know if the 44lb 'horseshoe' wing gets trapped/restricted at all by doubles the way bj139 described there?
Personally, the 44lb horseshoe would not make a suitable BACK doubles wing. It does fine with sidemount doubles and a bit of alteration. :D You can find my blog on that here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/si...agle-express-tech.html?highlight=Express+Tech and a subsequent blog on tank configuration here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sidemount-diving/422096-choker-clip-solutions.html

Personally, the 44lb horseshoe would not make a suitable BACK doubles wing.

Very interested in the sidemount business (and your mods of the ET for it) and since I'd be new to all such stuff I might just go that route if possible. But why's it not suitable for backmount? Why sir, why??

Very interested in the sidemount business (and your mods of the ET for it) and since I'd be new to all such stuff I might just go that route if possible. But why's it not suitable for backmount? Why sir, why??
The air cells need to extend beyond the tanks. This wing has the spacing for a single, not doubles, so the tanks and plate would entrap the air cells.

I was encouraged to try doubles on the express tech, and did not like the result at all. So much so, that I never made it into the water with that configuration. There is a false economy that attempts to use only one system for all types of diving. I did it when I spent a lot of time modifying my 44lb wing to accommodate side mount diving. In the end I realized that I had a system that most of my students could not hope to replicate. Consequently, I have adopted the Hollis SMS100 as the core system for me to side mount in. That being said, I teach all of my OW students in a Zeagle Express. For me, it's the perfect solution to single backmount diving for just about anyone. Either air cell is great for diving the system, but I do like the larger one when I am diving steel singles, especially my PST E-8 130s.

FWIW, if I am backmounting doubles, you'll find me in a DSS Kydex backplate with a camo horseshow wing. I have a dedicated solution for each the three types of diving I do most: Side mount, back mount singles and backmount doubles.

Be prepared though, when you comment on a configuration that you have not dove, that those who have will be a bit dismissive of your speculation. It's nothing to get, er, grumpy about. :D

Love your sense of humor. Being able to openly disagree with you and not get shut down speaks volumes about how you handle the board, please accept my kudos on that. BTW: Your original post on the ET (along with a couple of other respected SB posters) is why I purchased my ET as a travel rig.

As I said, while I have not dove the exact config, a ranger with what I believe is the same 44lbs bladder is pretty close and I have solid experience with the other 2 configs (24 and 35lb). I try to explain why I have my reasons instead of screeching "you gonna die" since everyone is a little different. I still don't like the 44, but that me. I guess sometimes I fall short of my goal. Won't be the last time either....

Love your sense of humor. Being able to openly disagree with you and not get shut down speaks volumes about how you handle the board, please accept my kudos on that. BTW: Your original post on the ET (along with a couple of other respected SB posters) is why I purchased my ET as a travel rig.
If we all agreed, it would be a stinkingly boring forum! :D

As I said, while I have not dove the exact config, a ranger with what I believe is the same 44lbs bladder is pretty close and I have solid experience with the other 2 configs (24 and 35lb). I try to explain why I have my reasons instead of screeching "you gonna die" since everyone is a little different. I still don't like the 44, but that me. I guess sometimes I fall short of my goal. Won't be the last time either....
You didn't fall short at all. You're experiences are a bit different than mine. No biggie.

The air cells need to extend beyond the tanks. This wing has the spacing for a single, not doubles, so the tanks and plate would entrap the air cells.

Aaaahhh! That's a definitive answer indeed and there's really no getting past that issue :crying: !! Still enough lift for stage cylinders though (and even a buddy rescue lift off the bottom if need be!).

Well at the very minimum what I've got here is still the most amazing BC system I've ever dived with (I've spent the last 13 years in 'standard' BCDs) and to be honest, the 'flap' isn't noticeable when diving (but the bungees make it a little easier to purge with the bum-dumps ... I think). I can't believe how much I love it - even if all it's done is replace my 'standard' bcd I'm blown away by the difference when diving, the position it puts me in, the fit of the harness, the lack of clutter on my front, the infinite configuration possibilities, how light and small and minimal it all is etc... It's a wonderful example of very simple (but very effective) components making up a totally modular system. I'm only kicking myself that I took so long to come this route!

One of the things I liked about the Zeagle wings was the way the bungees are not run on the exterior. They face the plate and can not get caught on anything. The bungees you added can get caught if waved around near some jagged metal. I doubt they are necessary but they shouldn't cause instant death unless you are leaving messages on an internet forum.:D

Edit: I just looked at your pictures again and realized maybe the bungees I am talking about are only on the Zeagle donut wing not the Express Tech wing.
If you use different wings you will realize that some manufacturers place the butt dump on the inside and some outside. The inside is best to minimize entanglement. It's easy to feel around back there to find it, inside or outside. I read somewhere on SB to turn the corner of the wing out to vent all the air on an innie. This works fine.

One more thing. The pull handle on my butt dump got caught between the top slats on a picnic table. When I stood up it popped off and I did not realize it. When I was diving at 20 ft, I felt a bit floaty and I reached back for my dump valve and could not find the handle. I floated to the surface on that one. I later found the handle under the table. The table tried to take it again a few months later so I removed it and tied a knot I could grab. Sometimes DIR is better.

Last edited:
One of the things I liked about the Zeagle wings was the way the bungees are not run on the exterior. They face the plate and can not get caught on anything. The bungees you added can get caught if waved around near some jagged metal. I doubt they are necessary but they shouldn't cause instant death unless you are leaving messages on an internet forum.:D

Edit: I just looked at your pictures again and realized maybe the bungees I am talking about are only on the Zeagle donut wing not the Express Tech wing.
If you use different wings you will realize that some manufacturers place the butt dump on the inside and some outside. The inside is best to minimize entanglement. It's easy to feel around back there to find it, inside or outside. I read somewhere on SB to turn the corner of the wing out to vent all the air on an innie. This works fine.

One more thing. The pull handle on my butt dump got caught between the top slats on a picnic table. When I stood up it popped off and I did not realize it. When I was diving at 20 ft, I felt a bit floaty and I reached back for my dump valve and could not find the handle. I floated to the surface on that one. I later found the handle under the table. The table tried to take it again a few months later so I removed it and tied a knot I could grab. Sometimes DIR is better.

The bungees on the 24 and 35lb wing are inside, fairly well protected from snagging. The butt dumps are on the outside (top if you are horizontal). Of course, being a horse a U shape in stead of a donut, you have 2 which increases your failure point count and will surely kill you, since we are internet diving :)

The bungees on the 24 and 35lb wing are inside, fairly well protected from snagging. The butt dumps are on the outside (top if you are horizontal). Of course, being a horse a U shape in stead of a donut, you have 2 which increases your failure point count and will surely kill you, since we are internet diving :)

Absolutely, anything with bungees or is a non doughnut will kill you!
Only a Hog setup will save you while diving. SM diving is evil and should be eradicated too!
Drink the koolaid and worship DIR... :dork2:

Flipping the wing over and resewing the bungee constraints really streamlined my configuration. I have never seen or heard of someone being snagged on their dumps, so it's not much of a worry. My problem was two fold. The hose was too long and I kept snagging the inflater hose fitting on the top of the cave. It was really getting beat up. Now it sits on the inside, just over my right shoulder. The hose goes around the back of my neck which only leaves 6-8 inches or so to deal with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom