Zeagle Express Tech or Express Tech Delux

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear all,

Thank you for the input and experience sharing. I think I have determined what I would like to buy: Zeagle Express Tech BC (basic) + the pad kits (not expensive, I can try the pad to see if I like it, it also contains some D-rings)+ 6 D-ring sets (if the pad kit does not cover these) + 1~ 2 Utility pouch/pockets for storing safety items + Crogh strap.

Thanks again for all inputs.

I'm a little late but here's my two cents:

I bought the Deluxe with a 30 pound donut as I prefer the Quick Release buckles. I played around with it a lot before settling on taking off the shoulder pads and sternum strap and keeping the back pad and crotch strap. I use the heavier weight system as my girth is ahem, not what it used to be. I put a D-ring on each shoulder strap.

I use it both locally and when I fly to Belize every year. It's lightweight and packs easily.

I went with the 30# donut also, I think it offers more options for the future uses.
I also choose deluxe, But now that I used it I would say basic unless you have a bad shoulder like me. I needed the shoulder clips to get in and out.

Vote Basic, 30# donut and the intergrated weight system.

Highflier

I see this thread is very old but I just joined the club. I bought the Deluxe which came with the shoulder and back pads and the clip-together waist belt on the flimsy straps. I immediately (after trying it out in the pool) replaced the straps and waist buckle with the straps from a couple of old, black weight belts and I'm using a weight belt buckle. HUGE improvement! I was having a difficult time getting the waist strap (which, of course, also tightens the other straps) tight enough and the whole thing was riding up and hitting me in the back of the head. I have not added a crotch strap yet because the waist strap seems to stay put below my belly just fine. I plan to have a crotch strap standing by just in case though. I watched a video and it showed the BC with a weight belt buckle and thicker straps. I moved the Velcro strap which holds the inflator hoses down a bit from where they had it but if I need to completely empty the bladder I will have to unstrap it. I might just change it to the ol' Velcro around the oral inflator method and not have it strapped down. I tried it out in the pool again but added a five pound weight up near the top, inside, beneath the back pad. This seems like a good place for a trim weight. I noticed that with it partially inflated and wearing additional weight on a belt I tend to float feet-down so I'm thinking that the weight pockets might move the weight up far enough to improve my trim so I might purchase those.

Other than that it's nearly as good as the back wing I made from stuff I had laying around. At least with the old weight belt straps I feel like I can go ahead and make holes in the straps. I added a pocket from an old BC plus a couple of snap hooks. By having these items attached to the straps it prevents them from slipping out while donning and doffing. I could not find a "crotch strap" in their accessories or anywhere else. Is that the same as a "saddle strap?" The shoulder pads seem like they might be good for long walks on shore dives. The back pad seems OK to pad the trim weight that I added but takes up too much room in my carry-on. I do need room for some clothes :wink: Also, if you dry the BC upside-down like they say the back pad retains water which runs down your lower back and legs the next time you put it on. I tried out my new straps and buckle while wearing shorts and a T-shirt and got wet. Not that I do that very often, but they could put drain holes in the top too.

Several people mentioned adding D-Rings. What are you guys using them for? Do you have stuff hanging off of them?

My non-deluxe rides up even with an added crotch strap. Real pita, and painful. One would need to be built like the SoCo dude to contain it.
I'm going to add a d ring keeper at the waist loops to stop the sliding effect.

I'm going to add a d ring keeper at the waist loops to stop the sliding effect.

^^^This works...one of The Chairman's posts put me onto using a couple of the big plastic "weight keepers" rather than a metal tri-glide (d-ring keeper). Less likely to maneuver itself through the waist loops. I also rigged a saddle strap using the keepers under my left & right side waist d-rings (moved them slightly forward which also gives the shoulders more play when donning/doffing the rig) and the butt crotch strap mount. Much more comfy than the single crotch strap as long as you're not using a scooter. All-in-all a fun configurable rig. (self-rigged basic harness) :)

Last edited:
I was a fairly early adopter of the Express Tech, back when Zeagle was a stand alone company and Scott Zeagle used to come on the forum regularly. Got the Deluxe version for the back pad.

It took me a while to warm up to it, frankly. So many straps to keep track of leading to so many adjustments since the straps are all interconnected. Not sure why they didn't just have independent straps for the waist and each shoulder, which would have made adjustments much easier. I was definitely missing my old jacket style BC that I would just throw on, buckle up and go. But I finally got it all sorted out and have grown to really like it. Mine has a 30# donut. Packs up really well, which is important because I almost never dive locally any more.

The straps on mine are not the slightest bit flimsy, so I was surprised to read that. Sounds like Zeagle's now trying to save a few bucks. I always use the crotch strap. Not sure if it's absolutely necessary but now it's kind of like wearing a seatbelt in a car. I just don't feel right without it.

I attached a couple of D-rings, one on each side. On the left I have a clip for my computer and on the right I have a diver ID card/surface mirror tag that I picked up from DAN years ago (no longer available). I occasionally clip a flashlight on them as well.

Edit: I just scrolled up and see where I posted my experiences in this thread over five years ago, lol.

I was a fairly early adopter of the Express Tech, back when Zeagle was a stand alone company and Scott Zeagle used to come on the forum regularly. Got the Deluxe version for the back pad.

It took me a while to warm up to it, frankly. So many straps to keep track of leading to so many adjustments since the straps are all interconnected. Not sure why they didn't just have independent straps for the waist and each shoulder, which would have made adjustments much easier. I was definitely missing my old jacket style BC that I would just throw on, buckle up and go. But I finally got it all sorted out and have grown to really like it. Mine has a 30# donut. Packs up really well, which is important because I almost never dive locally any more.

The straps on mine are not the slightest bit flimsy, so I was surprised to read that. Sounds like Zeagle's now trying to save a few bucks. I always use the crotch strap. Not sure if it's absolutely necessary but now it's kind of like wearing a seatbelt in a car. I just don't feel right without it.

I attached a couple of D-rings, one on each side. On the left I have a clip for my computer and on the right I have a diver ID card/surface mirror tag that I picked up from DAN years ago (no longer available). I occasionally clip a flashlight on them as well.

Edit: I just scrolled up and see where I posted my experiences in this thread over five years ago, lol.

Personally I like the old "backpack" style which was one long strap that went over each shoulder and around the waist. You just slip into it, cinch it down over each shoulder, and tighten it around the waist. It always fits snugly and allows for instant changes in wetsuit thickness etc. My recent attempt at a backwing was to attach my old mae west vest to an old backpack, to which I added a modern oral inflator and dump valve. It worked great and was just like wearing only a backpack but with buoyancy when I wanted it. It took up very little room in my suitcase but the stitches started to come loose and leaks developed. The Express Tech is only a little bulkier than what I was using so I'm happy with the design. I was renting BCs while on dive trips and finally bought a jacket style which paid for itself for quickly but requires a whole suitcase which means a "checked bag." I don't like doing checked bags so the Zeagle has set me free once again. :) The Express Tech apparently allows for double tanks much like the old backpack but it's not real clear yet just how to accomplish that. Since the Zeagle lacks pockets the ultimate solution might be to wear my cargo shorts over my wetsuit but then my girlfriend probably won't want to be seen with me. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom