Zeagle Flathead VI or 50D?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scc135

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm new to scuba but want a reg i can definitely grow into. I was considering these two regs. I definitely want to do ice diving later on. Does anyone know the major differences because as far as I have found the only difference is that the Flathead is newer and breathes a bit easier.

yes, i've looked at that before. :icon_roll if you look, the only difference is that the 50D has a swivel hose mount. Other than that it's practically identical. So why does the flathead cost more?

I have a first stage with all the low pressure hoses on a swivel turret, not all that different to the 50D. When I'm gearing up I find the turret lets the hoses move around right at that critical point when I wish they'd just stay put. IMO, its a design feature that isn't nearly as useful as you might think. If I were in your shoes I'd get the Flathead VI.

scc135:
if you look, the only difference is that the 50D has a swivel hose mount. Other than that it's practically identical. So why does the flathead cost more?
That's probably a question for Scott or Chad, the Flathead is a newer design, they seem to get better WOB breathing numbers from it.

What's the difference, about $50?

The Flathead is Zeagle's premium regulator. Some people say the swivel feature on any first stage is an unnecessary potential failure point. I've used my Flathead on over 100 dives, and up to 150' deep, with absolutely no felt increase in work of breathing. Never had a situation where I'd have wanted my hoses to swivel, either.

I'm a newb..(I need to have this disclaimer else I'll have some old timer giving me a hard time for even being on this board)

You might want to talk with the Zeagle guys and get the official scoop. I asked a very similar question recently and for some reason, I recall them saying that the flathead design is older but they keep it around for the old school tech guys.

The 50d and the ds-v are the same reg (or so I thought). The difference being that the 50d has the swivel mount which some purists would say is just another potential point of failure. Performance wise, I don't believe either the 50d or the ds-v are inferior in any way to the flathead vi. Like I said, check with the zeagle guy to get the "facts".

I personally got the ds-v. I like it a lot though I have nothing to compare it to.

The 50D is our oldest regulator, going on 6 years old, and it has a few differences other than the ones already mentioned above.

The flow path is very different from a DSV, the closest model. After moving down through the seat it must take a 90 degree turn and go up to the swivel cap, where it takes another 90 degree turn to go out to the second stage. These turns and additional plumbing cause some loss of performance. The 50D pulls a 1.29 j/l at 198' on a 750psi tank at 62.5 RMV. Not bad, as it's .89 j/l score with a 1500psi tank is way under the USN A-group requirement of 1.4 j/l; but it's our worst performer.

If you like a swivel it's still a great regulator, but it's sure no Flathead!

For ice diving you should stay with one of the cold water models: 50D, DSV or Flathead VI.

Chad Carney
FL Zeagle Sales

is a great reg.I have use it for over 200 dives in cold and warm water and it performs great.Avoid the swivel 50D,to avoid an extra failure point.More moving parts more risk of failures.This is the best reg in the Zeagle lineup.Can't go wrong with this,especially with lifetime warranty.

whats the difference of enviromentally seal . if I only dive in warm ocean water do I need the enviromentally seal?

Miami_Diver:
whats the difference of enviromentally seal . if I only dive in warm ocean water do I need the enviromentally seal?

You may get varying opinions, but for warm water use, I would say no, you do not need it. The Flathead XP is a non-enviromentally sealed model that will work great for you.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom