Zeagle Flathead VI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Jay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Im about to purchase the mares Dragon (not sure whether ill get the at or not) and was considering picking up the mares flathead vi. Have heard a lot of good things about it especially that the hoses come directly out to the sides and also the low profile of the 1st stage. Does anyone have any opinions on this? I want to go for a nice high end piece...

Jay

Scuba-Jay:
Im about to purchase the mares Dragon (not sure whether ill get the at or not) and was considering picking up the mares flathead vi. Have heard a lot of good things about it especially that the hoses come directly out to the sides and also the low profile of the 1st stage. Does anyone have any opinions on this? I want to go for a nice high end piece...

Jay

The Flathead VI is made by Zeagle, not Mares and is an excellent regulator.

i would pick a zeagle hands down over a mares any day, though mares are good regs

i just think zeagles outclass them

have you looked at ScubaToy prices? you also get a 10% ScubaBoard discount:

http://scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Regulators3.asp

dl348:
The Flathead VI is made by Zeagle, not Mares and is an excellent regulator.

LoL Im fully aware that the flathead VI is made by Zeagle :D I had just thrown in that i was also buying a Mares Dragon BC. Yeah I had heard it was a great reg which is why im looking at it, although ive also found the Zeagle Flathead XP, which seems exactly the same except its not environmentally sealed...im going to be diving warm waters so not sure if i need to spend the extra $$ for the VI rather than the XP. Andy yes Ive checked out Larry's prices. I just bought an Aeris computer from them and it arrives yesterday!! Im finding the regs a little cheaper through leisurepro, and i dont think scubatoys will do a price match with them although ill certainly ask.

i believe ScubaToys will give you full warranty, which LeisurePro will not, if that makes a difference

Scuba-Jay:
LoL Im fully aware that the flathead VI is made by Zeagle :D I had just thrown in that i was also buying a Mares Dragon BC. Yeah I had heard it was a great reg which is why im looking at it, although ive also found the Zeagle Flathead XP, which seems exactly the same except its not environmentally sealed...im going to be diving warm waters so not sure if i need to spend the extra $$ for the VI rather than the XP. Andy yes Ive checked out Larry's prices. I just bought an Aeris computer from them and it arrives yesterday!! Im finding the regs a little cheaper through leisurepro, and i dont think scubatoys will do a price match with them although ill certainly ask.

Zeagle regs have a pretty good reputation - at least based on what I've read in the internet. In real life, I've never seen a flathead VI. Here in NorCal where the water tends to be on the colder side (upper 40s to mid 50s), I know some people who dive the DS-V/ZX combination. They get great performance from the set. If you wanna save money and keep the warranty, look at getting the DS-V instead. For recreational diving in warm water or even colder water, the DS-V will perform very well for you. (And I would rethink that Mares Dragon idea. There are plenty of good BCs out there. Personally, I kind of like the Zeagles BCs better.)

Either way, go talk to the Scubatoys gang. They are authorized dealers with great pricing. They also offer a 10% discount on whatever you want to buy if you mention you are an SB member.

How deep are you looking to go? I called Zeagle and spoke to the engineer who designed their regs when I was shopping around, and was told that the Flathead would outperform the DSV, but not until you're on the Doria. So I bought a DSV :wink: That being said, have you ever seen the show Sea Hunters? Mike Fletcher is the lead diver, and I have met him a few times, and I've seen him 270 feet deep with the DSV. So that might be a reg to consider if you want to save a bit of money over the Flathead. It can definetly pull it's weight.

I really like my pair of Flathead VIs. Excellent reg. Get the warranty, as parts are free with it (should make up the diff b/t ST and LP).

I just got off the phone with David at LeisurePro in New York. He explained the warranty issue as follows: b/c they offer pricing lower than Zeagle would like, they are not an authorized dealer, and as such the official Zeagle warranty is inactive. BUT he says, LeisurePro provides an equivalent "in house" warranty which models the official Zeagle one as regards time period, free service and free parts. The only difference he says is that you must send the reg back to THEM as opposed to ZEAGLE were you to need to enact the warranty.

** In the middle of writing this post i got a call from James at scubatoys. We discussed the price match issue and he thinks they will be able to give me a match on LeisurePro. If this is the case then I'll use scubatoys for sure...

Jimmer:
How deep are you looking to go? I called Zeagle and spoke to the engineer who designed their regs when I was shopping around, and was told that the Flathead would outperform the DSV, but not until you're on the Doria. So I bought a DSV :wink: That being said, have you ever seen the show Sea Hunters? Mike Fletcher is the lead diver, and I have met him a few times, and I've seen him 270 feet deep with the DSV. So that might be a reg to consider if you want to save a bit of money over the Flathead. It can definetly pull it's weight.

I own both the flathead VI and the DS4 (I know, DSV is current) as well as a couple envoys, Dive Rites and a sherwood. Zeagles are great regs and to be honest, I doubt you'd notice the difference in normal diving. Get what you like and be happy.

Back
Top Bottom