Zeagle Flathead ZX/VI OK for DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serrada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Yesterday, I got a Zeagle Flathead ZX/VI and an Enoy additional 2nd stage. I plan on taking the DIR Fundamentals in Sept. I called Zeagle and they can get me an 84"/7' hose.

I had been considering getting an Apeks XTX50 or XTX100 (w/XTX40). I don't dive out of the tropics. It seams after reading the threads here the prefered regulators are the Apeks or the Scubapro. Seams Scubapro MK25 w/ S600 or G250 (w/R190or R550) is the ideal choice for the tropic for the DIR method of diving.

Before it's too late would you guys recommend I return the Zeagle and get the one of the other regulators mentioned above?

And would I be the course outcast with a Zeagle?

I really wouldn't worry about it - the Zeagle is a very fine reg.

Once you get more into team diving then obviously having the same setup amongst team members is a good thing. Yes, Scubapro and/or Apeks seems to be the preferred choice but there is no reason why you couldn't all be using Zeagle regs...

Otoh, for single tank diving, the hose routing on the Scubapro MK25 (or similarly configured first stages such as the Atomic Aquatics or Oceanic PX-3) is hard to beat.

I would contact Scott Zeagle here in the manufacturers area to confirm this. But it is my understanding that the Zeagle Regs used to be built by Apeks. Look at there website and there is a quote from a gentleman talking about his Zeagle Reg at somewhere over 400 feet. If using a Flathead VI makes you and outcast....well I wouldn't join then. In my business we call this "procedure vs. technique". Procedure is required, technique MIGHT be useful and help but it may not.
If the instructor wants you to use something different then what he has...then provide it.

serrada:
Yesterday, I got a Zeagle Flathead ZX/VI and an Enoy additional 2nd stage. I plan on taking the DIR Fundamentals in Sept. I called Zeagle and they can get me an 84"/7' hose.

I had been considering getting an Apeks XTX50 or XTX100 (w/XTX40). I don't dive out of the tropics. It seams after reading the threads here the prefered regulators are the Apeks or the Scubapro. Seams Scubapro MK25 w/ S600 or G250 (w/R190or R550) is the ideal choice for the tropic for the DIR method of diving.

Before it's too late would you guys recommend I return the Zeagle and get the one of the other regulators mentioned above?

And would I be the course outcast with a Zeagle?

AggieDad:
But it is my understanding that the Zeagle Regs used to be built by Apeks.

That is correct - Apeks regulators were sold under the Zeagle name in the US.

The Zeagle Tech-DS4 was an Apeks DS4/TX50, the Tech-50D was an Apeks DST/TX50, the Flathead Six was an Apeks FST/TX100 and so on. Zeagle announced their own second stage design in 2000 and started producing with their own first stage design in 2001 (at least according to the old catalogues I have lying around).

Apeks and Scubapro are used as examples of high performance regs that meet the criteria suggested by the DIR types. More of the specifics on the criteria can be found under:
http://www.5thd-x.com/xducation/regulators.html

I have been on a boat on several occassions with "DIR" divers. Though most of them do use either Apeks or Scubapro, there are quite a few who use different brands. And even those who use Apeks or Scubapro don't all use the same models. As an example, I've seen plenty of Apeks ATX-200s and Scubapro S600s.

One suggestion I would make here though... You might be able to get a generic long hose from one of the internet retailers like Scubatoys or TechDivingLimited. The fittings are fairly generic.

I'll really be the outcast with my combination of DiveRite and Salvo regs whenever I take it, then...

Once you get more into team diving then obviously having the same setup amongst team members is a good thing.

Vie,

Do you mean the same set up or do you mean similar set up? Does this apply to wings, exposure protection, brand of tanks/valves/manifold, gloves, light, etc.?

Adobo:
Vie,

Do you mean the same set up or do you mean similar set up? Does this apply to wings, exposure protection, brand of tanks/valves/manifold, gloves, light, etc.?

Having the same setup means simplifying the amount/types of spare parts you have to carry as well as total familiarity with all equipment used by the team. Obviously it would be impractical to have ALL equipment be exactly the same (and we aren't all the same size) but there are situations where it would be wise to have the entire team to each use a specific type of gear (i.e. a specific type of scooter). For diving in Thailand (wetsuits and AL80s) my group all dive Luxfer AL80 doubles with 300 BAR manifolds and 40lb. wings, if possible. We are all using Apeks regs (some different first stages but they all use the same service kit) - one guy is using Zeagle regs though but we haven't gotten around to "outcasting" him yet... :eyebrow:

Vie:
Having the same setup means simplifying the amount/types of spare parts you have to carry as well as total familiarity with all equipment used by the team. Obviously it would be impractical to have ALL equipment be exactly the same (and we aren't all the same size) but there are situations where it would be wise to have the entire team to each use a specific type of gear (i.e. a specific type of scooter). For diving in Thailand (wetsuits and AL80s) my group all dive Luxfer AL80 doubles with 300 BAR manifolds and 40lb. wings, if possible. We are all using Apeks regs (some different first stages but they all use the same service kit) - one guy is using Zeagle regs though but we haven't gotten around to "outcasting" him yet... :eyebrow:

Edit: Never mind... my post was turning into a hijack of this thread.

Adobo:
I guess I fail to see why it matters that someone dives one brand of aluminum 80s and his buddy dives a different brand of aluminum 80s. And that he has a thermo manifold and his buddy has a sea elite manifold. It might just be my inexperience rearing its head. I'm still trying to work out what this DIR thing is all about.

I'm very new to all this too. We don't really spend much time obsessing about "brands" - as long as a specific piece of gear meets the required criteria(s) then it's fine. We prefer a particular brand of AL80s because of the buoyancy characteristics (especially important when the tank is used as a deco bottle - for the kind of shallow diving I do, an AL40 deco bottle is more than adequate but an AL80 is just easier to find around here). This "DIR thing" is not all about gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom