Zeagle Quick Deploy 6.0 cu ft bail-out bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Soggy and RonFrank for you posts, but they are just more of the same as the last 19 pages.
What I'm really interested in hearing is from anyone with a 6cf bottle who has actually conducted a practical test.

Cheers
burna

I'm not sure what part of DO THE MATH you don't understand. Rick provided the all the information you need early on in this thread to do your own calculations.

My SAC rate is good, and sometimes great. On a good day (tropical, warm water, low stress) I can dive for an hour at 30~40 feet on about 1000psi. I've dove with divers who suck down an AL80 at the same depth in less than 45 minutes. RU starting to understand my point?

Another diver doing your Practical test is worthless. You have to figure this out based on YOUR SAC rate, not that of another diver.

If you need help with the math, there is this brand new tool on the net. It's called Google. Do a search on SAC rates, and you will find the math you need to determine your SAC rate, and how to figure out how long a 6CF bottle might last.

:rofl3::rofl3:

Ha, ha. You two guys can't help yourselves! You crack me up.

:rofl3::rofl3:

Anyone who has trawled through the previous 19 pages, as I have, would be more than aware of what you two think of a 6cf bottle as a pony.

You and others make some very good points against it. I have 'done the math', however I have to guess what my sac is 'cause I've never bothered to work it out. I'm going to start recording more details so I can monitor it from now on.

But, I don't want more opinion or anymore math, there's 19 pages of that, I just want to hear from someone who has actually used it.

Neither of you have actually used it.......have you?

Neither of you have actually used it.......have you?

Sure, it holds argon nicely. I can get 2-3 dives to 100ft out of one fill and I'm toasty.

Some things don't need to be tried to realize that they are foolish. I have not recently tried jumping off a bridge, yet I can do the math and understand why I'd break every bone in my body. This has similar predictability of results. SAC rates are what they are and physics doesn't change just because you are testing something.

'Doing the maths' will tell you how long it will last at a given SAC rate. It won't tell you how long it will take you to untangle yourself, get ur head out of a shark's jaws, etc...
I'm sure the 6' bottle would have enough air to get you to the surface IF you can go straight to the surface as soon as your main supply fails (for whatever reason).

I'm all for 'doing the maths' - my degree is based on it, but remember, in theory communism works. The Maths won't always be the definitive answer.

Remember, in theory, communism works. :wink:

I'm all for 'doing the maths'. My degree is based on doing the maths.
However, sometimes the practical test can give surprising results.

Even *if* you were able to make it, it offers you absolutely *no* leeway. At best, you'll break the surface sucking a vacuum on the bottle. At worst, you ran out of gas TWICE on a dive and are really no better off than you were before.

There are *much* better solutions out there...this one is not worth looking at. If you need redundancy (which most of the time, most people don't), there are many many ways of accomplishing it that are better than this thing. It's as foolish as a Spare Air(tm).

oh whoops. I've been quoted already while editing my post..

How many breaths are we talking here? I dont know my sac rate. My open water CESA test was from 30' on one breath (yes I was relaxed and prepared). Surely I could make it from 100' on 6' of air?

Surely I could make it from 100' on 6' of air?

Surely, eh? I thought you did the math....Apparently not. I'm sure it's in here somewhere.

Figure out your SAC rate, then double it. That'll get you a reasonable approximation of what you're dealing with under a stressful situation (like, "oh crap, I can't breathe"). On top of that, do you think it's a good idea to do, basically a CESA if you are near the NDLs? There is a reason why some people refer to the NDL as the MDL (minimum deco limits)...the decompression is built into the ascent rate. Sure, you'll probably be fine if you do a single dive to 100ft for 10 minutes and swim straight up, but think about if you have been diving for a few days...those safety stops and ascent rates become substantially more important.

And furthermore, who said that you'll be able to swim straight up immediately? That's a huge freaking assumption. On a wreck dive in the open ocean with an anchored boat, it's idiotic to do a free ascent. So, you might have a 100ft swim or longer to the anchor line. Or, you could very well have run out of gas because you were
entangled...6 cft won't get you much there, either. You seem to be forgetting that you probably will need a few moments on the bottom (up to a minute or two) to solve whatever problem you are having before beginning a direct ascent.

The *only* situation where this piece of gear is remotely useful is if you are a fool, did not pay attention to your gas, drew your last breath, couldn't find your buddy, and needed to make a direct ascent to the surface. In all other situations, it is useless and you are probably better off without. If you really need the gas above and beyond your teammates (which you, as a < 25 dive diver, absolutely do not...if you do, you are diving at way too advanced a level for your experience), bring a pony bottle of sufficient volume to allow you to spend some time on the bottom, do a short swim, and ascend at a reasonable rate.

Wow, some of the comments in this thread remind me why I spend much less time on ScubaBoard these days.

I have a decent SAC rate, and have personally used this Zeagle 6 ft bottle from 60 fsw and made an ascent that stayed within the parameters of both computers I was wearing. Sorry I have not posted a real world test from 100', usually when I am diving beyond 100' it slips my mind during the dive.

I will try to get on this Zeagle bottle at 100' within the next week or two and breathe it while making an ascent within the computer alarms, and see where and when it gives out. I am guessing I will make it comfortably to 15-20' to begin a safety stop.

When I dive solo, I carry an AL 30ft bottle. My wife uses this Zeagle 6 ft bottle when we dive together, primarily as a means to make it back to me and my air reserve should we become slightly separated at the point of failure, as sometimes happens when taking photos, but it could easily get her to another diver if we are on a wreck, or most likely to the surface. She does not wish to carry anything larger, and she does not dive solo.

Soggy, speaking of bridges. I think you need to build a bridge and get over it!

You've stated your position on this topic, that's why I resurected this thread, to spare everyone going over the same ground.

Mate, let it go!

If you're really losing sleep over it, then do me a favour. Grab a 6cuft bottle, go down to 30m and do an ascent at 18m/min. Then you can tell me how far you made it before you ran out of air.

BTW. I've neither supported or rejected this 6 cuft pony. I just want to hear from someone who has actually used it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom