Zeagle Quick Deploy 6.0 cu ft bail-out bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I also have one. It is mounted to my ScubaPro BCD behind my right arm. I usually offset my trim by 1 lb on that side. Other than that I don't notice it is there.

I guess I jumped in to the middle of a heated debate! I will also do some testing of my bottle as the dive season starts here. I have used mine while diving just 'because' and was surprised how much use I got from it. But that is not the technical detail asked for here.

As far as using it, I fill it and turn it on (at least I try to remember to turn it on) when I get in the water because I sometimes have trouble turning the knob when under pressure. I have had air flow out of it while diving so I installed a shut off valve on the second stage and a pressure relief valve on the 1st stage.

I usually offset my trim by 1 lb on that side.

I've got to ask....why?

and was surprised how much use I got from it.

What have you used it for?

As far as using it, I fill it and turn it on (at least I try to remember to turn it on) when I get in the water because I sometimes have trouble turning the knob when under pressure. I have had air flow out of it while diving so I installed a shut off valve on the second stage and a pressure relief valve on the 1st stage.

If you have trouble turning the valve on, you need to position it where it is reachable, not add more failure points to the thing.

(or, just get rid of it...you don't need it:))

Soggy
OK. I did not want to participate in criticism chats. I offset my trim because of the added weight of the added gear on one side, I don't need to I just do. As I indicated in my post, I tried it just to use it and check it out. I wasn't in any kind of stressful situation, I just wanted to use it. Also I did not say that I was having trouble 'reaching' the valve, that was just an incorrect assessment. Let me put it this way, I turn it on because I want it on and ready to go. Adding the pressure relief valve is a safety feature. The shut off valve can be in that catagory if you look at it that way, I do not. I have a shut off on my primary as well. Everyone outfits themselves in a different way. My safety is my primary concern yet I respect the opinions/advice from others. It is how we learn.

On a lighter note, I see you are also from MA. I am tring to expand my dive buddies if you are interested in new buddies, PM me.

Soggy
OK. I did not want to participate in criticism chats. I offset my trim because of the added weight of the added gear on one side, I don't need to I just do.

I only ask because we are able to dive with 30 lb cannister light (ok, it's -6 lbs in the water) on one side without any adjustment to trim weights, or multiple decompression bottles, or any number of other weight imbalanced (is that a word?) configurations. The desire to offset small weight differences from side to side is a solution to a non-existent problem...it's all in the head (sort of like the 6cft so-called "bailout" :)).

Also I did not say that I was having trouble 'reaching' the valve, that was just an incorrect assessment.

I guess I didn't understand, then. What is the problem you are trying to solve?

Let me put it this way, I turn it on because I want it on and ready to go. Adding the pressure relief valve is a safety feature. The shut off valve can be in that catagory if you look at it that way, I do not. I have a shut off on my primary as well.

But, why do you have these devices? What makes you believe that two additional failure points are a safety feature? In order to solve the problem of gas loss that comes with keeping the thing on, you've added two failure points (one which dumps gas by design) and have not reduced the number of steps involved in getting access to your gas in an emergency. The easier (and more reliable) solution is to keep it off, and turn the valve when you need it.

Everyone outfits themselves in a different way.

Actually, everyone I dive with outfits themselves in exactly the same way, but that's a whole other topic. :wink:

On a lighter note, I see you are also from MA. I am tring to expand my dive buddies if you are interested in new buddies, PM me.

Sure. I'm not sure what your diving focus is, but we can get together some time.

Are there any issues of Flying and bailout / pony bottles? Surely you could not carry on a larger bottle. Can they go in checked luggage without an issue? I carry on a small bailout, but would like a larger bottle, however we have to prettymuch fly everywhere.

Hey Piccola,

I'd be interested if next time your out if you could switch to your pony just before commencing your ascent.
( From 30m/100ft preferably)

Do your normal safety stop and switch back to your primary if/when you run out of air but gather as much info as you can along the way like starting depth, ascent rate, number of breaths you got and your SAC if known.

Don't mind Soggy, he's got a real bee in his bonnet about these little pony bottles. Just between you and me, I think he's got shares in a cylinder manufacturer that doesn't make anything smaller than a 30cuft!! :eyebrow: Ha ha!!

After 21 pages of talking about it, it would be good if someone actually did it.

Burma,
I will give that a try when I get the opportunity. It will be interesting to see the results. BTW this is why I shy away from these boards, there is a hugh difference between an insightful opinion and shoving your views down everyones throats.

Soggy,
Sorry this has ruffled your feather so! You are making a broad, incorrect, assumption that everything I say is the reaction to some problem solving activity. I replied to the OP simply that I own the product. I trim my weight because I want to carry no more weight than I need to, if I had 10lbs of excess gear on for a dive, I would shed 10lbs of lead. I go from fw to sw, I adjust my weights. No Problem. As far a a relief valve being a problem, I disagree and BTW every cylinder has a pressure relief valve. Its nice to see all of you outfit yourselves the same, how would one tell any of you apart...LOL, gives new meaning to one stop shopping. My focus is having a safe, enjoyable experience diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom