Zeagle Ranger LTD question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
Good Afternoon.
I'm about 15 minutes away from ordering a new Ranger LTD. I have heard mostly good things about the Ranger and was getting ready to order and found a few bad comments about them. Just wondering if anyone has any last minute comments or opinions or suggestions for a different choice. At the moment not really interested in a BP/W set up. May look into that later but not at this point. Some of the bad info I heard about the ranger was that the weight pouches are really hard to get in and out of the pockets with the BCD on. "Not really sure how many times you would need to remove them with the BCD on" And I have heard that the 45 pound bladder is to much for single tank applications. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
david

I dive with a 46lb. bladder and dive cold freshwater with big steel tanks. I'm always glad I have the lift I do. :) 45 pounds can be what one wants in certain kinds of diving conditions. I don't own a ranger but looked at one. It's a big BCD, that is for sure.

Matt

Nothing wrong with the 45 lb bladder. As for the pouches, getting them out is not a problem. Putting them in, that's another matter. But, who cares, it's easy enough with the BC off which is when you are setting it up anyway.

The reason you would take the pouches out is when handing them up to someone on a boat, thus lightening the BC for you to either hand it up or climb up onto the boat.

I have a Zeagle Ranger LTD and a 2nd generation Ranger and I love them both. I haven't had problems with them. Getting the weight in and out is no big deal.

David,

Congrats on your new LTD!!! I suspect that you will like it a lot, and I look forward to hearing some feedback once you recieve it!!!!

Dive safe!

Scott

I have had my Ranger LTD for a little over five months, and I have a couple comments:

1. I still can't believe how comfortable it is. Take the time to adjust the BC. I was wearing my wetsuit in my apartment making my adjustments.

2. The crotch strap works wonders.

3. The weight pockets are easy to remove and hand up to someone. I believe the weight pouches (yellow mesh pouch) come with the LTD. If not, consider getting some to hold the weights. Putting the wieghts back into the BC is a bit more difficult, but it is not hard by any means. Granted, the only time I had to put mine back into the BC while in the water was when a student gave me the "deer in the headlights" look during the remove and replace weight system underwater (they were integrated as well, and was hung up on how to replace the weight belt without a weight belt).

4. If you find the bladder is too large. You can order a smaller bladder and install it on the Ranger harness. ScubaToys has done that and is selling that new combination as the Zeagle Brigade http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=ZeagleBrigade I spoke with Larry at ScubaToys a while ago, and he informed me that it is about a ten minute process to make the switch. I might get the smaller bladder for my tropical trips where I don't need all the lift.

5. All of the connection points are great. I can attach my gear for convienence and streamlining.

The new 35 lbs Stiletto bladder will also go on LTDs and Rangers. This bladder will streamline and lighten up the BC substantially. Also it is as tough as the Ranger/LTD bladder, being made of 1000 denier cordura. It also has the winglet clips to keep the bladder wings tight to the vest.

Thanks for choosing a Zeagle!

Chad

I've owned both a Ranger and Ranger LTD. You'll love it. The 44 lb. bladder is no problem whatsoever - there's clips on the edges of the air cell which attach to the harness that prevents the taco effect. Most comfortable comfortable BC you'll ever own. If you opt for the crotch strap, as Bailey already said, you'll find it works extremely well at securing the whole package.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom