Zeagle Ranger vs. Stiletto vs. other options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversteve

always tired
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have an XL Ranger LTD. I've used it 2 or 3 years now. I recently tore the back "handle" off it lifting my gear onto a boat. I still like it and it works well but now I'm considering other options.

All my diving is warm water, I don't even own a skin. Don't ever plan to. I understand that the Ranger is also a cold water BC, but it's worked fine to date - I have a large travel bag.

I've never used the front pocket on the cummerbund, store my foldup snorkel and cheap SMB in one side pocket. That's all I carry. One thing I do have to say that I don't like about the Ranger is that it's hard to open the front pockets when I'm geared up and standing with the tank weight on my back and the weight pouches installed. And the ripcord seems to make sense to me, although I've never pulled it in real life.
I also carry a percentage of my weight in the back tank-mounted pockets and would like to do this with any new BC I buy.

I'm considering the Stiletto as is seems to be the same quality with less up front and slightly reduced size/weight? Any comments from people who've dove both. The trade-off that I see is that it doesn't take doubles - something I may be doing soon.

What other options do people like, money being no object. I've seen the Black Diamond recommended and a couple others, just curious about pros/cons. Especially from people who've compared or used a Ranger.

I'm not interested in a BP/Wing since I dive in a t-shirt and for me it's all about dive comfort. One of the things I really like about the Ranger is the lumbar pad. And I do mostly single tank rentals. Also my weighting flunctuates as I dive different weight configurations with/without my video housing.

I also have a 65 lb. "Tech" bladder on my Ranger. I assume that it will fit on the Stiletto also - has anyone done this?

Comments/suggestions appreciated.

I had the Brigade first and liked it a lot. It wasn't until I started traveling with it that I started looking for something smaller. It was a bit bulky to pack. I looked at the Stiletto and it is smaller, but not really much smaller. Also, I don't really like cumberbunds that much.

So I bought a Dive Rite Transpac and started messing with it. At first it was too bulky for me as well, but I started playing around the configuration a bit until I found a setup I was happy with which consists of removing all the padding and going to the Travel wing. The first thing I noticed was I needed about 4lbs less weight to dive this setup that the Brigade which I liked.

Also I played with a few different weight pocket systems. First I had the Dive Rite 32lb weight system, but it was really overkill for the types of warm water diving I do. I'm a big guy so I need between 2-18lbs of weight depending on exposure suit and salinity of the water. Based on that I looked for weight systems that held that much.

The DiveRIte 16lb weight pockets were a little light and also really expensive for what you get. I tried using some really inexpensive XS Scuba 5lb velcro pockets for a while and they worked, but I was not really happy with the setup. I thought about switching to either Dive Rite or OMS clipper pockets to replace them, but stumbled upon another idea. I stole the rear weight pockets off my daughter's Brigade :)

They have a zipper top, quick release velcro bottom and hold 10lbs each. This was perfect for my up to 18lbs need. I am using this setup now and really like the convenience of it. Plus the Zeagle pockets are about half the price of the Dive Rite 16 or 32lb pockets as well. I think Zeagle makes a pocket specifically for backplates that would probably work better, but I had these in the house, so I went ahead and used them.

Things I felt like I gained with the Transpac is a bit of quality and modularity. I think the DR BCDs are made a little better than the Zeagles. That's an just an opinion though, but the I think the modularity is a lot better with the Transpac as you can literally make it as much or as little as you want. While the Zeagles can do that to a point, the Transpac is better at it, imo. The big thing is I really like the fact I can customize the Transpac to me. Build it exactly as I like it and change that config on the fly for the needs of the dive. Add a pocket, add a D-ring, remove a pocket, etc. Just whatever I need for the dive. I enjoy only taking the config that I need into the water with me.

The things I miss about my Zeagle Brigade at this point... probably just the yellow weight pouches that go in the weight pockets. Those were nice for staging all you weight and easily taking it in and out of your BCD. Other than that, I really prefer the Transpac to my old Zeagle.

The Transpac is a bit expensive though. The Brigade with the Scubaboard discount is like $360. That's a pretty smoking deal on a really good BCD and hard to beat. I like the differences about the Transpac enough to pay the extra money for it. Modularity costs more in the scuba world I guess.

About the size and packability my Transpac is almost as small as a BP/W for packing. For comparison, here is a picture of my daughter's small Zeagle Brigade hanging next to my 2XL DiveRite Transpac:

http://elliscountyequine.org/images/100_0491.jpg

sjspeck:
I have an XL Ranger LTD. I've used it 2 or 3 years now. I recently tore the back "handle" off it lifting my gear onto a boat. I still like it and it works well but now I'm considering other options.

All my diving is warm water, I don't even own a skin. Don't ever plan to. I understand that the Ranger is also a cold water BC, but it's worked fine to date - I have a large travel bag.

I've never used the front pocket on the cummerbund, store my foldup snorkel and cheap SMB in one side pocket. That's all I carry. One thing I do have to say that I don't like about the Ranger is that it's hard to open the front pockets when I'm geared up and standing with the tank weight on my back and the weight pouches installed. And the ripcord seems to make sense to me, although I've never pulled it in real life.
I also carry a percentage of my weight in the back tank-mounted pockets and would like to do this with any new BC I buy.

I'm considering the Stiletto as is seems to be the same quality with less up front and slightly reduced size/weight? Any comments from people who've dove both. The trade-off that I see is that it doesn't take doubles - something I may be doing soon.

What other options do people like, money being no object. I've seen the Black Diamond recommended and a couple others, just curious about pros/cons. Especially from people who've compared or used a Ranger.

I'm not interested in a BP/Wing since I dive in a t-shirt and for me it's all about dive comfort. One of the things I really like about the Ranger is the lumbar pad. And I do mostly single tank rentals. Also my weighting flunctuates as I dive different weight configurations with/without my video housing.

I also have a 65 lb. "Tech" bladder on my Ranger. I assume that it will fit on the Stiletto also - has anyone done this?

I haven't used either of the Zeagles in question (I have used a Zeagle Tech with HP-80 doubles). They make a fine product. But here are a few thoughts I had from reading your post:

- You dive warm water with no exposure protection. That means that you probably do not need too much lift from your BC. Many people diving warm water with AL80 tanks are just fine with 17-20lbs of lift. Certainly 65lbs is overkill for single tank diving (and even a tad excessive for some doubles diving).

- You mentioned that you enjoy the lumbar pad in the Ranger. Because of diving in a t-shirt only you said you didn't want a BP/W (presumably referring to the Hogarthian harness). You also mentioned doubles. You might consider something with padded shoulder straps and a lumbar pad that still allows you to switch wings or possibly add a backplate (OMS IQ Pack, DeepOutdoors Matrix, DiveRite TransPac, OxyCheq O-Pac, etc). A setup like that would allow you to buy a very small wing for travel (like the Oxycheq Razor or DSS TTW17) and when you are ready a wing sized properly for doubles.

sjspeck:
I'm not interested in a BP/Wing since I dive in a t-shirt and for me it's all about dive comfort.
I guess this means no BP/W stuff.

Let's keep this thread on topic, shall we?

My experience is smilar to Jarrett's. I started with a Zeagle Stiletto and then bought a DiveRite TranspacII.

No doubles with the Stiletto but the Transpac will handle them as well as sidemount. Both are great BC's. The Stiletto will take the Zeagle lumbar pad which I bought and used once. I thought it took up too much interior room and was of no real value to my lower back.

The Stiletto is smaller than a Ranger and I think considerably so. For packing I found that rather than try to fold it up just open it up and pack stuff inside it. Seems to take up a lot less room that way. The Transpac will pack flatter and you can take the wing off and roll it up.

Preferences.....

Stiletto: A style of BC that you just put on and jump in. No fiddling or tweaking. It's the complete package. Comfortable, all the conviences, stable and trims out well as I'm sure you know from the Ranger. I put a grommet in a pocket and mounted a retractor neatly inside. It has a cummerbund and which I like. Underwater it's a fantastic performer and overall a terrific BC.

Transpac: I also have the Travel wing. The Transpac is more flexible. I wanted integrated weights so had to add the 16lb pouches. I wanted a pocket so had to add that. I wanted a retractor and had to mount it on the belt. I ended up adjusting the shoulders out a bit. I had to trim the waist belt. I took two of it's shoulder d-rings off and then decided to add them back. It seems to need the crotch strap where the Stiletto doesn't. Its just something else to fiddle with. It's got some padding and is just as comfortable. No cummerbund. Underwater it's a fantastic performer and overall a terrific BC.

So that's my assesment. If I could only have one of them... well, I'm glad I don't have to make that choice but I did take the Transpac with me on the last 3 outings and probably will next time.

Can't say much about other brands although I'm sure there are some great ones.

Anyway, good hunting.

Steve,

Dude! 65lbs. of lift for no wetsuit singles diving :11:

I pretty much concur with xiSkiGuy's post #3, so I won't rehash and while I think theoritically it's possible to dive doubles in a Ranger I don't believe it's optimal, I'd think a plate adds alot of stability in doubles so I'd go with one of his suggestions that you can slip an AL plate inside and wings can be switched out when your setup warrants it (i.e. doubles). Wings can be bought on eBay very inexpensively. You want your rig to be stable, especially while your filming, right? You don't want your doubles floppin' around.

-Garrett

P.S. You might want to go to Saguaro and check out the Transpac and Dive Rite options, and remember they match online pricing (God Bless em') :D, and PM booth22 his wife dives a Transpac.

I own a Stiletto and have dived the Ranger and the Transpac. For price/performance the Ranger comes in last place.

The Stiletto/Brigade can be configured with different size shoulder and waist straps when purchased. Buy it from someone who knows what they are doing and will allow you to mix different sizes if necessary.

The Transpac is a good BC but more expensive than the Stiletto. I used it for doubles.

I would suggest the Stiletto for frequent use at home or the Brigade for traveling. Then buy an inexpensive aluminum BP and hog harness and use your 65# wing for a doubles setup. You buy both rigs for the price of the Transpac.

El Orans:
I guess this means no BP/W stuff.

Let's keep this thread on topic, shall we?

I have dove my hog harness with BP/W (steel BP) with nothing but swim trunks in warm water. No chafing. No pain. It was like wearing nothing.

Not wanting to start a BP/W hijack. i am just saying that I think all the padding on conventional BCs is for marketing so the BCs feel good standing up in the shop. Where it really counts is in trim under water... So BP/W is not necessarily ruled out.

sjspeck:

I don't know much about non-bp/w BCDs, but if I were to use one for warm water single tank diving I'd look for something with as little lift and as little inherent buoyancy as possible. I've seen some BCD's with only 18# of lift. A smaller bladder is better because for warm water diving that's all you need and all else equal it will be easier to vent and it'll create less drag. And the less inherent buoyancy your BCD has the less lead you'll need to carry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom