Zeagle Ranger with Twin Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How difficult is this to set up?

I have two Worthington HP100's I would like to eventually use as a twin setup with Nitrox since a lot of the diving down here is in the 60ft range.

What materials are needed for mounting to my Ranger and does a type of manifold exist where I can easily disconnect the tanks and use them as singles again? Or do I definitely need both tanks dedicated for a twin-setup only?

Sorry if these questions were already answered in the other Twin Tanks thread at the top.

My buddy has the same setup and is interested in doing the same thing when he gets down to FL. I assume we'll do the non-isolated manifolded set up.

I currently dive with ZERO weight in salt water with a single Steel 100. With my 3mm full im nearly perfectly weighted. I use hardly any air in my BC to balance out. So little that I can't even use my dump valves to fine tune on the ranger because there isn't enough air pressure to release, just lets water in. Or am I doing something wrong? I have no issues descending. Will the 44lbs of lift on the Ranger be sufficient for these heavier tanks with a reasonable safety margin?

Majority of diving is done around Palm Beach with a moderate Gulf Stream current. Entry by boat with someone onboard following.

There is a way to connect two singles to make doubles in such a way as to permit quick and easy disconnect back to singles again. My first doubles setup used this system. All you need is a good set of bands and one of those old Dacor or US Divers cheater bar manifolds that have a yoke at each end (to attach to standard tank valves) and a single post in the center, between the tanks, to attach the regulator.

You may also need a backpack. I'm not familiar with the Ranger, so I don't know how you would go about attaching doubles to one.

Last edited:
First ask yourself why doubles???

If you buy a Zeagle back plate you can mount a Ranger bladder on it. Probably the best way to deal with occasional doubles. It works well enough.

As for connecting two cylinders together without and isolator (i.e. independent doubles). I think OMS still makes a "DUAL CYLINDER TRAVEL BAND SYSTEM"

OMS Aluminum Dual Cylinder Travel Band System

BTW - do a search on ocean diving with steel doubles with little neoprene and no backup inflation (i.e. overly weighted).

If I were going to regularly use the same cylinders for doubles and singles, I'd dive independent doubles.

Those mounting plates dont look comfortable on the back.

Maybe on the surface, but I doubt you'll even feel it in the water.

Regarding that schematic, I personally wouldn't use fully threaded fasteners. On the surface, they'll be carrying shear. Get a proper shoulder bolt.

You may also need a backpack. I'm not familiar with the Ranger, so I don't know how you would go about attaching doubles to one.

The Ranger is DESIGNED for doubles.

Remove the tank bands

Add ANY standard backplate - the ranger already has gromets on 11" center to accept either a soft backplate - OR - a stainless/aluminum plate then attach the doubles the same way you do on any other BP/W.

It works well,

As I said - I know people that dive a Ranger or Tech with Doubles all the time.

THe real decision is if 44lbs of lift is enough or do you need the tech bladder.
Chances are with double steel 100's - you'll be fine.

Thats what I will be diving next summer (with a Ranger LTD unless I sell it and get a tech) - toggling back and forth between twin hp 100's and single overfilled lp 95s.

The Ranger is DESIGNED for doubles.

Remove the tank bands

Add ANY standard backplate - the ranger already has gromets on 11" center to accept either a soft backplate - OR - a stainless/aluminum plate then attach the doubles the same way you do on any other BP/W.

It works well,

As I said - I know people that dive a Ranger or Tech with Doubles all the time.

THe real decision is if 44lbs of lift is enough or do you need the tech bladder.
Chances are with double steel 100's - you'll be fine.

Thats what I will be diving next summer (with a Ranger LTD unless I sell it and get a tech) - toggling back and forth between twin hp 100's and single overfilled lp 95s.

How does the Ranger do without the backplate? Flimsy and uncomfortable? I know it isn't required.

Will I still be able to use the LTD lumbar pad I just bought?

How does the Ranger do without the backplate? Flimsy and uncomfortable? I know it isn't required.

Will I still be able to use the LTD lumbar pad I just bought?

Without the backplate - I dont know. Everyone I know uses one when diving doubles. Its VERY easy to put on and just as easy to pull of and add the tank straps back. Plus - you can get a stainless BP for about 100 bucks and an aluminum for even cheaper - so why not use it since its stability benefits are high.

The LTD lumbar pad is on the inside against your back- backplate goes on the outside - so I dont think it will affect it at all (unless it blocks access to the 2 - 11" grommets - but I dont think it does.)

If you use a normal backplate this way, it wont be anymore stable, or quicker to fit, than the mini plates.

The mini plates won't stick into your back if mounted correctly. They fit between the tank centres, squeezing the backpack & wing centre panel down tight against the tanks & bands. The bolt, if correctly sized, will fit bellow the level of the horns, & they wont touch your back either. You can use or discard the lumbar pad, your preference.

If you want 2 redundant tanks, for as cheap as possible, independents are the way to go.

If you have a Ranger, & you decide you need more lift. You don't have to get a Tech, you could just change out the wing on the ranger for the size you want. Be aware that some Zeagle systems have proprietary fixings.

If you have a Ranger, & you decide you need more lift. You don't have to get a Tech, you could just change out the wing on the ranger for the size you want. Be aware that some Zeagle systems have proprietary fixings.

I looked into that - but - the 65lb cost more than a 2 yr old ebay tech so your probably better off just getting another BC and setting one up for single and the other for double -

If Zeagle has that 30% off thing again - maybe Id pick up the bladder - otherwise the bladder is expensive

I doubt that the OP will need more lift than what the Ranger wing provides. That said I would worry more about what happens if that wing fails.

Adding a SS plate will give 6lbs of negative buoyancy, 2 x 10lbs negative for each cylinder when full. Add another -4 lbs for two regs. And now you are looking at at least 30lbs negative buoyancy. None of this weight can be ditched. Sure some is offset by the body but none by the wetsuit at depth. Swimming that much weight up is going to be very hard at depth.

As such, with a wing failure the OP is going to go down like a bloody led zeppelin. As such, I am going to call BS on the OP for what they are trying to do with steel cylinders and others recommendations like get a SS backplate tech bladder.

I doubt that the OP will need more lift than what the Ranger wing provides. That said I would worry more about what happens if that wing fails.

Adding a SS plate will give 6lbs of negative buoyancy, 2 x 10lbs negative for each cylinder when full. Add another -4 lbs for two regs. And now you are looking at at least 30lbs negative buoyancy. None of this weight can be ditched. Sure some is offset by the body but none by the wetsuit at depth. Swimming that much weight up is going to be very hard at depth.

As such, with a wing failure the OP is going to go down like a bloody led zeppelin. As such, I am going to call BS on the OP for what they are trying to do with steel cylinders and others recommendations like get a SS backplate tech bladder.

Well what do you recommend? I carry a 50lb lift bag and standard size open-bottom SMB if that's any help.

That aside, what do you guys think about this setup/price with the 300bar manifold?
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=HP100TwinCylinderSetup

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom