Zeagle Regs/Octos (and LP vs. ScubaToys)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halthron

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I were OW certified last year, are tired of dealing with rental equipment and are looking to buy regulators. Based on reviews and what I've seen of the support on this site, and the fact it's an American product, I'm leaning toward Zeagle.

Depending on how the pricing works out, I'll most likely go with either the ZX-50D or the Envoy Deluxe. I'd prefer the 50D but the Envoy can be justified by passing down the reg to my rug rat who will be learning to dive later this year if I upgrade or just keeping it for a backup. I'm hoping either of these regs will last me a couple of years. Wreck and deeper diving seems interesting and I expect I may need to change equipment when I feel confident enough to go that route but I'd like a reg I can grow into over the next couple of years as well as have for a backup if needed. The next couple of years will see warm water diving in the Philippines but a colder diving location will probably be my next stop.

Given that the 50D is designed for colder water than the Envoy Deluxe, is it wise to pair an Envoy Octo with a 50D reg?

The pics of the regs are different on the LeisurePro and ScubaToys sites. The reg pic that ScubaToys has is the same as the one that Zeagle has while the LeisurePro image has a different logo. Could LeisurePro be selling a reg that's been sitting in inventory for a while? Could there be a problem if this is the case? How would you tell before delivery?

*Let me say that I don't stay in any one location long enough to develop strong loyalty to any one LDS. Especially when I tend to be in countries with high VAT rates, pushing prices to over double what they are in the US. I value customer service and have spent a lot on services at a decent shop where I am now. They just don't keep much in the way of non-tech equipment stocked.

LP has images of the older version. It may be old inventory, but my guess would be that its just old pics and they haven't updated it on their website.

But why not call Larry at Scutatoys and ask him to match the LP price? Best of all possible worlds... Edit: Just noticed your location, you might want to PM him instead (Scubatoys).

StSomewhere:
LP has images of the older version. It may be old inventory, but my guess would be that its just old pics and they haven't updated it on their website.

But why not call Larry at Scutatoys and ask him to match the LP price? Best of all possible worlds... Edit: Just noticed your location, you might want to PM him instead (Scubatoys).

I recommend this as well. I called Larry when purchasing my FlatheadVI/ZX regulator. He priced matched LP and threw in a ST reg bag. :wink:

Dude, the regs AND a bag.

Of the two that you posted about I would go with scubatoys for sure. Zeagle regs, good choice as well.

I recently called and talked with Joe at ScubaToys. When I mentioned the price of the reg at LP (I am looking at the Envoy Deluxe and was looking for a great price too), he said that the price they offered did not include a warranty. He also mentioned (which I did not know) that LP buys out inventory of going-out-of-business dive shops. The idea of the warranty for a life support piece of equipment makes A LOT of sense to me. Anyhoo, that's my $.02 worth.

He should have also mentioned that ScubaToys will match LP's price anwyay...

watchoutheyspit:
The idea of the warranty for a life support piece of equipment makes A LOT of sense to me.

WHY? If the reg fails at 100 ft, the warrenty won't have any effect unless you survive!!

Can you service the Zeagles where you live? If so, it would be a great choice. If not, look for a different brand. :wink:
BTW, I somehow doubt that the free parts and lifetime warranty would be valid for Greece unless you would ship them back to North America for servicing. :wink:

aquaoren:
Can you service the Zeagles where you live? If so, it would be a great choice. If not, look for a different brand. :wink:
BTW, I somehow doubt that the free parts and lifetime warranty would be valid for Greece unless you would ship them back to North America for servicing. :wink:
I won't be here when I buy it but there is an LDS that sells them where I'm going. But it's a good point and one that I'm heavily leaning on when considering purchasing over the net. There happens to be a single dealer where I'm going, which doesn't guarantee that he'll service them or stay in business.

Clarifying the waranty status is a good idea as well.

Larry quoted me fantastic prices for Zeagle items I'm looking at - I just gotta get my finances sorted so I can actually place my order!

Z...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom