Zeagle Rip Cord Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sergeantnic

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure lots have experienced this problem. I was diving today and my weights FELL out of my weight pockets on my zeagle brigade BCD. I thought the rip cord was broken at first but after further investigation it looks that it had just came out of one of the loops. Anybody have this problem. Any solutions. Ended up putting my weights in the NON-DROPPABLE zippered pockets instead. What a P.I.T.A. Why isn't there anything on the end of the cord to keep it from just slipping out?

It shouldn't *just slip out*. The handle you pull to release the weights is supposed to be secured by velcro tabs and the *cord* is stiff plastic line that should not move without the handle moving.

How deep were you when this happened? From your descrption, it kind of sounds like you were still on the surface or in the boat...anyhow, I hope you didn't have a quick unexpected ascent.

mattboy:
How deep were you when this happened? From your descrption, it kind of sounds like you were still on the surface or in the boat...anyhow, I hope you didn't have a quick unexpected ascent.

I think it may have happened tossing the gear in the water. I'm not sure but the velcro didn't come undone. Just the very end of the cord came out of the last loop making the HOLE in the pocket large enough for the weights to flop out while I was going head first toward a spring head. I noticed I wasn't going down anymore but up. I was only 5 or 10 feet deep so no big deal. Just frustrating because it happened twice before I realized the cord had came out a little bit.

sergeantnic:
<snip>Just the very end of the cord came out of the last loop making the HOLE in the pocket large enough for the weights to flop out while I was going head first toward a spring head.</snip>
Since you were descending head first, it doesn't make sense that the weight pouch fell out of the bottom of the weight pocket where the ripcord is located. One time I forgot to fully close the zipper to the top of the weight pocket. A pouch slipped out on me while I was in a heads down position. Are you sure this is not what happened?

Regardless... every dive I inspect the ripcord system, making sure that each tail of the ripcord is laced through that black fabric retaining loop at the very end of each weight pocket. I have never observed the tails of my ripcord slipped out of that retaining loop, let alone one of the nylon loops that hold together the weight pouch.

Aaron

One thing you may want to consider are the yellow weight pouches to help contain your weights inside the pockets. I got a set and it works great, and lets me mix and match the smaller weights inside the pouch.

Other than that it seems like the release system is pretty tight. There is a good amount of ripcord left to tuck away after threading in the loops. Unless it wasn't looped correctly it seems the only other possibility is that the ripcord handle wasn't secured.

Archer_Pensacola:
One thing you may want to consider are the yellow weight pouches to help contain your weights inside the pockets. I got a set and it works great, and lets me mix and match the smaller weights inside the pouch.
I forgot that the Zeagle makes you buy the yellow weight pouches separate from the BC. I never understood this. I also definitely recommend getting these.

Sergeant,

When the ripcord is completely threaded, how much "extra" is left to tuck into the BC? There should probably be at least 2". Also, what type of weights are you using? Bullet weights will slide through most of the time, just due to their shape. I would recommend picking up the yellow weight pouches, as they do hold the weight better.

Scott

sergeantnic:
I'm sure lots have experienced this problem. I was diving today and my weights FELL out of my weight pockets on my zeagle brigade BCD. I thought the rip cord was broken at first but after further investigation it looks that it had just came out of one of the loops. Anybody have this problem. Any solutions. Ended up putting my weights in the NON-DROPPABLE zippered pockets instead. What a P.I.T.A. Why isn't there anything on the end of the cord to keep it from just slipping out?

I was warned about this problem too. I don't understand why the mesh weight pockets don't just come with the BC. That sucks, did you ever recover your weight?

ScottZeagle:
Sergeant,

When the ripcord is completely threaded, how much "extra" is left to tuck into the BC? There should probably be at least 2". Also, what type of weights are you using? Bullet weights will slide through most of the time, just due to their shape. I would recommend picking up the yellow weight pouches, as they do hold the weight better.

Scott

Scott,

THere's about 2 inches left. I had thought the ripcord broke so I pulled it completely out and rethreaded it. Then I took the extra and went back the other way and tucked it under the black loop. I'm assuming this is correct? I'm going to order the weight pouches after I get back from vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom