Zeagle RKO or Tusa Duo Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parrothead_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I am going to be buying a new set-up here in the next week. The gear I have chosen so far is the Zeagle Ranger BCD with a Zeagle ZX/50D Reg. I have pretty much made up my mind that I want to go with an inflator type AAS.

The question I have is: If you had a choice between the Zeagle RKO and the Tusa Duo Air which would you recommend and why?

The reason that I am asking is that I have heard that there are service and/or reliability issues with the Zeagle. Anybody know about this?

I know that somebody is probably going to suggest the Atomic (my first choice), but I just can't afford that right now.

I have never had a problem getting somthing repaired or serviced from Zeagle. It seems they bend over backwards to help.

I did have a Zeagle AAS but changed to a Scubapro. Nothing was wrong with the Zeagle but the buttons were on the bottom. When teaching students it was easier to use an AIR ll like theirs.

I like the Zeagle for manual inflate better than the Scubapro.

The Tusa is a AIR ll copy. I think Atomic coppied it too.

Having a local dive shop who services the equiptment is a big plus. See if one will let you try them out. We sell both in the store that I work in and will bring our equiptment out to be tried side by side with other brands but have not had any other shop what to. If your ever in OKC give us a shout and you can try them.

Mark

If you're buying a ranger, and a zeagle reg, the cost difference of putting an atomic on there vs. a zeagle should be virtually non-existant in the package... Can't see more than a $20 difference... so it that's what you want... Why compromise??

The Tusa is not a Scubapro copy... they are really the same unit made in the same factory... Scubapro has square gray buttons... Tusa has oval Blue. If you check out the patent numbers on them - they are one apart from each other. Just the difference in the buttons.

They are simple units that don't give much trouble, but the buttons are much harder to push than the Atomic, and the Atomic has a built in swivel, and comes with adapters to fit on any size hose.

But when you look at your whole package... Whether you pay 900 or 920 on that package... what does it matter?? So on scuba gear - never compromise... get what you want!

I have both the TUSA DuoAir, which I have been using for 10 years, and the Scubapro Air2, which I have been using for 1 year. Both are the same internally I believe and I have never had any trouble with either. I prefer the TUSA round buttons just because I'm more accustomed to the feel and location.

Either way, these units can take a beating and still work just fine. This has been my experience with them. Someone's tank fell over on my DuoAir in heavy seas a few years ago and popped off the diaphram cover. I put the cover back on, tested it, and kept on diving. Had it checked out by my LDS before diving again, and it was not damaged internally, just banged up on the outside.

I always soak the DuoAir and Air2 in fresh water each time I use it, just like I do my 1st and 2nd stages.

I agree with Larry from ScubaToys about getting what you want. If you get what you want the first time, you'll (hopefully) be satisfied all the time until your tastes or needs change. Hope this helps some.

Another advantage of the Scubapro over Tusa and Atomic is service. Scubapro has been in business longer than the both of them together. They have service centers literally around the world. If you need a part in Fiji there are some. Not only is this important if you are diving in exotic locations, unless your diving in FL where there is a dive shop every 20 feet, make sure your local dive shop has the parts and can do the repair.

Mark

shooter226:
Another advantage of the Scubapro over Tusa and Atomic is service. Scubapro has been in business longer than the both of them together. They have service centers literally around the world. If you need a part in Fiji there are some. Not only is this important if you are diving in exotic locations, unless your diving in FL where there is a dive shop every 20 feet, make sure your local dive shop has the parts and can do the repair.

Mark

Any scubapro place could fix up a tusa... or vice versa... It really won't throw the tech just because the buttons are a different color.

Any scubapro place could fix up a tusa... or vice versa... It really won't throw the tech just because the buttons are a different color.

The big problem with this is that it would void the warranty. Manufactures want you to only use their parts in their equipment.

Mark

I appreciate all the feedback...

I have done a little more reasearch and now think that I am going to go with the Zeagle or the Atomic. Everybody so far has seemed to prefer the Scubapro version, but my problem is that my LDS does not sell or service them so that eliminates them.

And like Larry pointed out, there is not much of a price difference between the two ($50). But my wife is already complaining about the cost. So unless there is some kind of a huge difference and/or defect that can justify the extra cost then I am going to go with the Zeagle.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

shooter226:
The big problem with this is that it would void the warranty. Manufactures want you to only use their parts in their equipment.

Mark

Exact same parts... both come from the same factory... We're a repair center for both... Tusa and Scubapro... If you take the parts kit out of the bag that says scubapro or Tusa on them... and put the parts on the table.... there is zero difference. They both get them from the same place - then just put the parts in their bag. Neither of these companies would know or care or void a warranty if I used the parts from either... exactly the same.

Now as to Zeagle vs. Atomic... Both are good units... The zeagle hose is the same as seaquest... the Atomic hose is the same fitting as tusa and scubapro. The only thing interesting about the Zeagle, is they use this floating seat poppet design, and if it develops a small free flow, it seems eveytime some well intentioned DM on a boat tries to fix it, they destroy the seat. It requires a special tool to hold the poppet steady while adjusting it. Most just try to tighten it and it cuts the seat up.

We've had some come in that had the "It was just letting out a bubble every now and then, and the guy on the boat said he could fix it... and now it bubbles like crazy.." Heard that story more than once...

It's also a little different with the Zeagle as to inflate it, you don't blow in the mouthpiece... you blow into the little exhaust hole in the back.... But you can get used to that pretty quick.

Both are good units - but they are different from each other, and in the minor difference between them in price - again.... go for the one you want.

Ditto what Larry said about the TUSA and Scubapro AIRs...(if it looks like a duck, etc.)

The best thing I like about the Zeagle/Apeks made Octo+ is that a diver can be breathing on it and let air out of his BC without removing it from his mouth...in one simple motion just by pushing the large exhaust button on the bottom. Everyone else has gone with the blow in the mouthpiece design, probably because it is more intuitive. Once shown how the Zeagle unit works, it is much easier to manually inflate than the rest because it does not require the completely depressed button in order to blow air into the vest. If other models do not have a separate shoulder dump valve on the BC they have to remove the mouthpiece to vent expanding air while ascending.

Usually once an AIR is leaking air it's due to seat depression and orifice corrosion, and little can be done short of disassembly, cleaning and seat replacement.

I lack any experience with the Atomic unit, but I have checked it out extensively at DEMA. Have sold and worked on Scubapro AIR IIs since day one, TUSA Duo AIRs, SeaQuest Air Sources, and of course Zeagle Octo+ MK Is & IIs.
(BTW, the RKO is an SKU added to a BC with a Ripcord weight release and an Octo+)

I love the combining of the inflator with the octopus regulator.... but nobody has made one yet as durable as a primary regulator. Maybe Zeagle will step up to the plate with a homemade version soon that can achieve that goal!

Chad Carney
FL Zeagle Rep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom