Zeagle Scout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tank601

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Can anyone give me the pros and cons for this BC? Only if you have one and dove with it! Thanks!:D

I'd probably want to hear more from the people that don't have one and the reasons why...but...

Quality isn't the issue here. Zeagle makes high quality stuff. Function might be though:

It all depends on what you want to do with it - what kind of diving are you into? What kind of diving are you going to be into?

You need to tell us that before anyone can really offer you an answer...

Thought I would answer your PM here for the rest to see.
I have been diving a Scout for about 5 or 6 years. It is the older version without the pockets or cumberbun. I originally bought it as a lightweight travel BC, which it does nicely at just over 4 lbs but it has also become my do everything BC. So far it has done everything I have wanted or needed it to do. Most of my diving is warm salt water or quarry but on occasion I also dive with a thick wetsuit or a drysuit. The Scout comes with rear weight pockets which are rated for 20 lbs (10 x2) but I find if I place more than about 10 lbs (2x5) in them the BC want to turtle me. This is typically not an issue for me because I rarely use more than 10 lbs and when I do, I just add a weight belt (dry suit). The 24 lbs of lift is more than enought for all my needs. It is widely adjustable and fairly inexpensive. At least for me, there are no down sides. Diving doubles or if you need lots of lift (most divers have way more than they actually need) are the only things it will do and if you are swapping between travel and big/double tanks, you need 2 BCs anyway.

HH,

If you want a bit more lift you can get a Scout with a 35# bladder, or at least ScubaToys did that for me a few years back. Diving a drysuit I've put 12# in the Scout's trim pockets plus a steel tank - I wanted the extra lift as a factor of safety I guess.

Really, the only thing I didn't like about the Scout was the cummerbund. So I cut that off.

I have one, used it for about 12 dives, half fresh and half salt water. With a 7mm in salt water and a steel tank I had about 8lb in the rear pockets, and found myself going belly up if I wasn't careful. Never had such issue with a 3mm in fresh water. BTW, being a backlift BC I was expecting issues in the surface, but that hasn't been the case. Lift is more than I've required.

I find the BC to be very comfortable and the 2 side pockets fit a sausage, safety reel & flexible snorkel well, thus I don't have anything dangling around.

As a disclaimer I should say I live and dive in Mexico, and that 7mm was used in terribly cold 76ºF water!

HH,

Uncle Ernie reminded me of a good point. You'll probably want about 60% of your weight on a belt and 40% in the rear trim pockets (as a starting point). I knew I still wanted to use a weightbelt when I got the Scout.

If you were hoping for completely weight integrated you might want to look at an Escape.

I have been diving with a Zeagle Scout for two years.

Pros:
1. Relatively inexpensive;
2. Compact enough (a travel BC) that I used to (prior to the most recent attack in the US) be able to take it carry-on aboard an airplane;
3. Rear-inflating - helps give you good trim in the water;
4. Few bells and whistles - not much garbage to get in your way; and
5. I like the two bottom-mounted dump valves (standard on many BCs) as you can dump air while inverted.

Cons:
1. The 24 lb lift bladder is a bit on the wimpy side if you are diving a full 7mm wetsuit - I dive with this way a lot, but I have to be careful with my weighting. This is not a problem if you are in a 3mm wetsuit or a drysuit;
2. The optional pockets with zippers that Zeagle sells (used to sell) are not very sturdy and the zippers break. Go with a sturdy velcro-sealed pocket if you want to accessorize; and
3. The integrated weight pouches (which are rear-mounted) have emergency releases, but they are not the easiest releases to reach. However, the amount of weight carried in these pouches is small (see below), so it is not a huge safety issue.

Things to consider:
1. The integrated weight pouches are quite small - if you try, you can probably stuff 10 lbs of lead into each of the two pockets. Personally this is not an issue for me as I use a weight belt when diving with significant insulation, and in warm water the capacity of the Scout weight pockets is more than enough; and
2. I agree with other posters who indicate that over-stuffing the integrated weight pockets might turtle you. I wouldn't put more than 2 x 4 lbs in the pockets.

I like the scout as it travels well. I would definitely consider buying another one.

I wore one on my 3rd dive of OW class and loved it.It made a big difference from my first 2 dives in another BC.I found it much more comfortable and easy to fine tune my buoyancy.I was able to start practicing moving up and down using only my lungs on my 1st dive with it.It felt good.I only have experience with 2 BC's,but the Scout was much better.

Being a new diver not yet sure of what type of diving I would pursue,I wanted a good all-around BC so I could try things out and see what I liked.The Scout is versatile,newbie friendly,doesn't cost a fortune,and felt good for me.So far,I've used it in lakes,quarries,and a couple of surf entries at the coast.Still love it.My experience is limited,but the Scout is doing great so far.

Cons:
1. The 24 lb lift bladder is a bit on the wimpy side if you are diving a full 7mm wetsuit - I dive with this way a lot, but I have to be careful with my weighting. This is not a problem if you are in a 3mm wetsuit or a drysuit;

Not sure where this thinking comes from but, you are not alone. I'm not sure why you would need a bigger bladder when diving a 7mm wetsuit. I know that you carry more weight but, the positive buoyancy from the wet suit is not going to fail unless you take it off (Unlikely). If you need to fill the 24lbs bladder when your wet suit compresses you are diving way to heavy. If a Drysuit fails I can see needing more positive buoyancy but not a wetsuit. Just my 500psi.

To the OP My son dives a Scout really likes it. No problems with it he probably has 25-30 dives using it.

I have a Ranger no problems but it is a lot bigger more bulky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom