Zeagle Stiletto Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calvin,
I think you have done a great job at with your reviews, and moderating the flaming you have been getting... Ever think of getting into politics? Nice to see someone who can hold up a intellegent conversation without the ad hominem fallacy you are victim to here.. People attacking you instead of you arguements...

So how is the BCD doing now?

You shouldn't be wearking a MD if you weigh 160 lbs. I wear a MD and I weigh 200.

One thing you guys could try to alleviate the riding up would be to add a crotch strap. I know my Brigade accepts one. The Stilletto probably does as well.

I think it was a fair dive review. I use the Stiletto for my classes. It's easy to configure and so far, no one has had any issues with the quality.

Calvin,

I had not read your blog since the original post, so I guess it is good that someone decided to bump this thread.

Like I said originally, I was interested in hearing your opinions after more dives, and now I have had a chance to do so. Thanks for the updates.

In regards to the strap restriction when moving the waist panels out a notch - we have changed the position of the webbing in order to make it easier....thanks for pointing that out.

I realize that everyone is going to have different opinions, and that is one of the things that makes ScubaBoard a great place. I have been doing new car research for the past week, and believe me, you can find good and bad reviews of almost every car on the market.

Dive safe and happy holidays to all!

Scott

Thanks FreedomFilm, I think a few people lost sight of the fact that, in the end, it was a decidedly-positive review of the Stiletto - simply because I had anything non-positive (read: constructive criticism) to say at all. I think a review should strive to provide to the reader both sides of the coin. Even my favorite scuba gear always has *something* that can be improved upon. If that wasn't the case, wouldn't we all either be diving the same rigs, or at least have settled, permanently, upon one that works best?

I sold my stiletto to a friend of mine who was certified last spring, with the understanding that I get to borrow it whenever I go warm water diving (in-line with my assessment that this is the best travel BC currently out there). I've gone through a few different BC setups since, including the SeaQuest Pro QD (love it!), OMS Comfort Harness (used w/ doubles), and now the DSS Torus w/ Hog Harness (which I'm still getting used to). I'm looking next to try out the new Pro QD soon, since I still love the ease-of-use recreational BCDs offer.

What actually surprises me the most about the Stiletto review is that this conversation has the legs it does here on SB. I published the review in August of '05 (updated it 11/05) - and we're still talking about it! :popcorn:

Wow, Scott must've posted while I was typing my recent comment.

ScottZeagle:
In regards to the strap restriction when moving the waist panels out a notch - we have changed the position of the webbing in order to make it easier....thanks for pointing that out.

Yep, proves to me (once again) what a sweet company Zeagle is. I'll have to take a look at a new one and update the review accordingly (with photo). Thanks for the update Scott!

Had a professor once who, in my opinion, had one of the best philosophical tenets I've ever come across . . .

"Young man, always remember, no matter how well you've done something, you could have done it just a little bit better".

the K

funkyspelunker:
why don't you offer us a review of your own? I'm sure we have a lot to learn from you since you "now dive the Stiletto".

Wow Funkyspelunker, you have really gone above and beyond on your diving and training, congradulations!

I'm not going to bother with a full review, I did a write-up some time back if you care to find it, and I've been vocal on a number of other threads as well.

After diving this for a year, maybe 50 dives, I'll give some thoughts for improvement.

First I think the configuration is great. Streamlined, adequate weight pockets, comfortable, overall a great BC.

I've been diving a BP/W for cold water diving, and here are a few things that I think Zeagle could improve on the Stiletto.

I have been diving a donut shaped wing, and find that I like that configuration better for singles. The Stiletto does not trap air often but it can. This is more of an issue with the Ranger, granted if one wants to dive double with the Ranger (few do that I'm aware of) the donut shape is not a good choice. But I've found the donut shape wings do not trap air as easily as a horseshoe shaped wing.

The pockets are too small. They fit the profile of the BC, but they are kinda useless for things other than maybe defog, or a small slate. I liked the larger Ranger pockets much better.

I'd like to see movable Drings rather than the sewn in DRings.

These are very minor criticisms, but Scott reads these posts, so I thought I'd throw them out. Overall I can not think of a BC that I'd buy over the Stiletto for travel, and singles diving.

www.freedomfilm.com:
Calvin,
I think you have done a great job at with your reviews, and moderating the flaming you have been getting... Ever think of getting into politics? Nice to see someone who can hold up a intellegent conversation without the ad hominem fallacy you are victim to here.. People attacking you instead of you arguements...

So how is the BCD doing now?

I maybe guilty of what you are calling flaming. Keep in mind when he posted his first review, he was not certified, and had never done a dive which was IMO an issue. Most of his negative comments were on trim and buoyancy which are issues for most new divers.

I have not read his updates, but now he has a LOT more experience I would have a lot more respect for his opinions of dive products.

It's easy to jump on an old thread, and judge the original content, but time changes things, and I believe he has updated his review as well. How many car reviews have you read from people who don't have a license, and would you take that advice? :D

Back
Top Bottom