Zeagle Z, it needs repair, I need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheBeak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a Zeagel Z that has not been in the water in a few years, I dont know much about regulators, but it were a cars carbortator id order a repair kit wich would contain all new seals and gaskets and such and i'd rebuild it.

can this be done with a regulator?

where can one get a rebuild/repair kit?

i also need a few screws to block ports in the first stage where un-needed hoses were removed, does someone stock these?

TheBeak:
I have a Zeagel Z that has not been in the water in a few years, I dont know much about regulators, but it were a cars carbortator id order a repair kit wich would contain all new seals and gaskets and such and i'd rebuild it.

can this be done with a regulator?

where can one get a rebuild/repair kit?

i also need a few screws to block ports in the first stage where un-needed hoses were removed, does someone stock these?

I'm not sure what you are talking about with the carborator reference, but you should be able to have the reg serviced. Routine service will replace all the ORINGS and seals. Some places just replace the worn seals, but you can certainly tell them you want them all replaced, it just may cost a bit more.

If you don't have a good LDS, you can use Tech Diving Limited. Their reg service is very reasonable. I have used them with great results so I can recommend them. I KNOW they did a good job for me as when I sent in my first stage it had a blown seal, and was not diveable, so they did replace the seals.

If you've never worked on a regulator before and never had some hands on coaching when you do it, I'd advise NOT working on your own stuff, not just yet. You need some special tools that don't scratch the reg when removing and installing the O-rings. Also you need some specialized lubes when reassembling it. Also, you really need a good uderstanding on what adjustments can be made and what you really need depending on the final use. My advice...take it to a shop and pay the money, your life is really worth it. I rebuild mine but I have the tools, the materials, the kits, and the cleaner, and the manuals and equipment to set the various adjustments.
It's your decision, but think long and hard about doing it yourself. It might work great out of the water and you think what's the big deal, but put it uder 3-4 atmospheres of external pressure and see how it works.
just me opinion. do what you want.

RonFrank:
I'm not sure what you are talking about with the carborator reference, but you should be able to have the reg serviced. Routine service will replace all the ORINGS and seals. Some places just replace the worn seals, but you can certainly tell them you want them all replaced, it just may cost a bit more.

If you don't have a good LDS, you can use Tech Diving Limited. Their reg service is very reasonable. I have used them with great results so I can recommend them. I KNOW they did a good job for me as when I sent in my first stage it had a blown seal, and was not diveable, so they did replace the seals.

thanks for the recomendation, the carb refrence was included to convey i have a better than average aptitude repairing things, and generally do all my own work on everything, but i am not opposed to paying for quality work in some instances.

obviously it depends on what needs to be replaced, but if one were replacing all wear items, (seals, rings etc...) how much would one expect to pay for the service/repair?

thanks, and is anyone has any other recomendations id love to hear them.

(is the Z still worth repairing, or should i look to a new reg?)

TheBeak:
thanks for the recomendation, the carb refrence was included to convey i have a better than average aptitude repairing things, and generally do all my own work on everything, but i am not opposed to paying for quality work in some instances.

obviously it depends on what needs to be replaced, but if one were replacing all wear items, (seals, rings etc...) how much would one expect to pay for the service/repair?

thanks, and is anyone has any other recomendations id love to hear them.

(is the Z still worth repairing, or should i look to a new reg?)

If this reg hasn't been serviced regularly, it might well be regarded as "out of warranty". Depending on which Zeagle factory authorized service dealer you took it to, you may or may not pay for some/all of the parts. Just a ballpark guess, could be wrong, but it wouldn't be unusual to expect $70-80 (could be more/less) to have it brought up to speed.

Send Scuba Toys a full description of what you have, and they'll give you a "guesstimate", I'm sure.

I can understand that replacing parts is not all that difficult, but you also MUST be able to test the reg to certain specs after it's together. Without a schematic of the reg, the test equipment, and some experience, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Parts kit shouldn't cost that much. Labor is more variable, shot rates vary widely. Time to locate some authorized Zeagle dealers who can service it & give them a call.

Larry & Joe at Scubatoys has been mentioned & they're worth talking to. they're Zeagle dealers, they have reasonable rates & by all repute are an excellent dive shop.

Most carborators make most regulators look simple. But with regulators, parts and documentation may be hard to come by. You may be able to get Zeagle parts from Scubatoys. Some documentation available here: http://www.deepsouthdivers.org/ Go to "Talk" and follow the trail.

Good luck

BTW, a $10 adapter on your compression guage makes a good IP guage.

We'd be happy to take a look at it for you. Scuba.com is a fully authorized Zeagle dealer and our repair department is equipped to handle anything your regulator might need.

Don't forget that this is life support equipment that you're dealing with. Make sure you use an authorized dealer with a good reputation. I have seen a reg come through our shop that was supposed to have been serviced properly, but it clearly wasn't. You might need that last breath!

If you can find someone to teach you how to service regulators, than you can order the parts kit for maybe $15~20. Rebuilding a reg is MUCH easier than rebuilding a carb, however you don't want to do it wrong because last time I checked having a working regulator at 80' is kinda necessary when diving! :D

Tech Diving limited charges $45 for a Reg service + parts. They only replace what is necessary, but you could certainly request that they replace everything, and it would not change the price of the service, just parts. Even if the reg has not been used in a while, there is no reason to think it would need anything beyond normal service as that will replace all seals and orings.

I don't know the value of the Zeagle Z, but my thought is that it's worth getting it serviced. Zeagle/Apeaks makes good stuff, and just because the reg is oldish does not make it bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom