Zeagle Zena Issues with Donning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougmatic

Registered
Reaction score
My girlfriend just got a new Zeagle Zena and we just took it out to dive for the first time this past weekend. The Zena fits well once it’s on, and she likes it in the water. The problem is that she was having lots of trouble getting the Zena on.

According to her, it’s extremely difficult to zip up the corset part on the front. She says that the two sides of the corset tend to come apart when the BCD is on her shoulders and it’s really hard to bring the sides together to zip. Maybe it’s worth mentioning that we dive in California with full 7mm wetsuits, so her wetsuit is fully loaded with 20+ lbs of lead. Meanwhile, I’m behind her struggling to help keep her tank up while I’m fully loaded with gear myself.

She’s already tried loosening all the straps before donning and tightening them back up after it’s finally on. Do any of you ladies have similar trouble with this BCD? Is the zip-up corset poor design, or is my girlfriend just not used to it? For you ladies who don’t have a problem with donning the Zena, are there any tips/tricks for her to try out?

Is the corset part of it maybe too small for her? Maybe she should try zipping it from a sitting position so the weight isn't being supported manually? Usually much easier to loosen all the straps and then tighten them down after it's zipped.

Thanks - zipping from a sitting position is usually not possible because we're typically shore diving from the beach. I'll have her try adding the weights after having the BCD on.

It sounds hard, but try this if you don't have a donning platform:
You are on one knee with your other foot in front of you facing the water (for slight downhill assist). Your foot in the sand holds your leg at a right angle, therefore.
Have your buddy rest her tank on your knee, and you stabilize it.
She then kneels facing the water with a heel on either side of your bent leg while you hold the rig.
She dons the bcd, and all weight is on your thigh (with or without weight pockets in place). Zip up corset under zero shoulder load. You stand up while she takes the weight. You assist her in rising from kneeling position. Add weight pockets if necessary.

@Sh0rtBus , maybe have your buddy comment? I saw your other Zena post...

It sounds hard, but try this if you don't have a donning platform:
You are on one knee with your other foot in front of you facing the water (for slight downhill assist). Your foot in the sand holds your leg at a right angle, therefore.
Have your buddy rest her tank on your knee, and you stabilize it.
She then kneels facing the water with a heel on either side of your bent leg while you hold the rig.
She dons the bcd, and all weight is on your thigh (with or without weight pockets in place). Zip up corset under zero shoulder load. You stand up while she takes the weight. You assist her in rising from kneeling position. Add weight pockets if necessary.

@Sh0rtBus , maybe have your buddy comment? I saw your other Zena post...
Thanks for the detailed tip! We will definitely give it a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom