Zeagle ZX/Flathead VI or Atomic M1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Omaha Beach

Reaction score
Getting ready to buy my first regulator. I have narrowed it down to the Zeagle ZX/Flathead VI and the Atomic M1. Wanting a regulator that won't limit me by depth or water temp. Any recommendation between the two?

I have tried an Atomic B1 and loved it. If I could get my money back on my Scuba Pro Mk25/S600/R380 I would buy an Atomic Z1 instead. All Atomics are basically the same. The biggest difference in the regs is the metal that is used. The Z1 also does not have a swivel on the first stage. So with all that in mind I think I would get the Z1 over the M1 since it clost to $300 less expensive I beleive.

I purchased a Flathead VI/ZX in May of this year from my LDS. It does a great job for me. It really maintains a steady delivery of air at all times no matter if your tank has 3000 psi or 500 psi. You crack it and it's there and in abundance. Also, I have the backing of my LDS for service and repairs. I don't know about the Atomic M1. The reviews I have read have given it high marks. I think both regulators will do what you need them to do. I think the bottom line is service. Which one can you get serviced the easiest. If the answer is both, then the search is still on. Good Luck on your purchase.

Ken

Is there any reason you have not considered buying an Apeks reg? In my neck of the woods the Apeks regs are cheaper than Zeagle and are regarded as being comparable, if not superior, in performance. The dry sealed Apeks regs (ATX 40, 50, 100, and 200) will not limit you in depth or water temperature and the overbalanced regs (ATX 50 and higher) are incredible to breathe from. I, however, am biased because I own Apeks regs.

I have considered Apeks, but my dive shop doesn't carry it. I have heard that the Zeagle is very similar. I like the Atomic M1 b/c of its Tech design and all the great reviews. Seems the design will make it tough to free-flow. Have heard some really good things about the Zeagle Flathead V1 as well. My dive shop feels that that Zeagle dives better deeper. I am also struggling with piston or diaphram. I am not factoring money into my selection. Not planning on buying another reg anytime soon.

Your LDS would be glad to hear about your loyalty... but I still suggest looking into the Apeks line. I think that Apeks used to manufacture regs for Zeagle and they are pretty much the same. Either way, you will end up with a solid gas delivery system, only one way you pay a bit more.

I have dove all the regulators you have mentioned plus probably 10 more! Why? I am psychotic :>) However I ended up with 2 Atomic M1's, 1 Scubapro Mk25AF S600 and 1 Apeks ATX50 plus DS4. Now I dive warm tropical waters only. Before when I dove 33degrees and above we all dove Poseidon's, Zeagle's, and Apek's. A few Sherwood's were thrown in as well. For warm water I love the Atomic M1, If I were to get one regulator and only one It would probably be the Apeks line(in my case the ATX 200 because I like the hose lay out of the first stage) with an ATX50 Octo in DIN with yoke converter or Yoke and I would just change the DIN connector when I need too. As everyone else pointed out, You can dive a cold water regulator in warm water but not necessarily the opposite. A good mechanic"regulator service tech" will be worth his weight in gold!! He/she can make or break your reg. and your life!! They can adjust the reg to whatever you would like. A fine tuned regulator can breath like a dream. Notice I did not say which brand! All the ones you mentioned are top notch!

If you are determined to buy Atomic ( a great reg and I'm not knocking it ) buy the M1 as it makes the transition from warm to cold water better than the B1,2 or Z1. I dive cold water 99% of the time, when I called Atomic they recommended the M1. I own an Apeks TX100 and just recently puchased the ATX200. When it comes to cold water diving most agree that the diaphram 1st stage is the only way to go. If you primarily dive warm water then go with the Atomic piston set up. Before buying my second Apeks reg I spoke the the repairman at my LDS, he preferred the Apeks to the late model Zeagle regs. Since I don't service my regs I trusted his opinion. Either way Atomic, Apeks, Zeagle are all good regs, be realistic about the environment you will use them in and where you can obtain service work.

Thanks for all the replys. This is by far the best scuba informational website for comments. I have decided to go with the Atomic M1. It has gotten great reviews and my LDS really likes the brand. I know that I would not have gone wrong with either reg.

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom