Zen Dome, cover and macro questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I finally got my zen dome port for my PL2 and Oly 9-18mm. My system is for the moment complete, with ULCS type arm and tray and a single Z240 strobe (and only $1,000 over my initial 2400 budget). But I have two questions....

Firstly, I found removing the ports to be hernia inducing. I do not forsee myself swapping ports during a dive trip. I'll see how the stock 14-42 works behind the zome, but if i were to stick w the dome, what would be the best lens for macro? What about adding the oly macro converters? Whats the difference between a teleconverter, macro converter and diopter anyways?

Secondly, I am already paranod on scratching the dome. Do people remove the dome cover underwater or leave it on the boat? Whats the best way to stow the dome cover if you take it under with you? I'm thinking of some bungies around the port to strap it to. Bungies are my universal fix.

I had the same experience swapping ports. After buying a strap wrench, things are a LOT easier.
31fs25PgjhL._AA160_.jpg
I remove the dome cover on the boat unless I forget, which has happened. I stuff it into my BC pocket if that happens.

The 14-42 will work OK behind the dome port, but you will of course get a wider angle, so depending on what level of macro you want, with the dome you will need to get closer to get the small stuff. With the dome, you cannot add the wet lenses.

I was wondering of those oly converters that mount on the lens can be used inside the housing. But after seeing the clearance w the dome, its I don't think it will fit. I'll see if I can find a strap wrench in thailand... i'm not sure what the Thai word for strap wrench is...

Also a suggestion for Zen, if its technically possible, knurl the port so there's something to grip.

I had the same experience swapping ports. After buying a strap wrench, things are a LOT easier.
View attachment 100099
I remove the dome cover on the boat unless I forget, which has happened. I stuff it into my BC pocket if that happens.

The 14-42 will work OK behind the dome port, but you will of course get a wider angle, so depending on what level of macro you want, with the dome you will need to get closer to get the small stuff. With the dome, you cannot add the wet lenses.

I might be wrong but it seems to me that I can focus closer with dome so having the zen dome all the time is not a problem for macro or semi macro.

Also, I do attach the PMLA macro adapter to the zen port with success. Just a few 1mm thick adhesives on the zen port or the pmla will be sufficient to fill the slightly smaller circumference of the Zen port and anjoy a tight fit. I included a few pics taken with the zen dome port the 14-42 kit lens and macro lens attached.

parazoanthus.jpg uova di gorgonia.jpg pepperoncino.jpg

Hi guys,
quick question about the dome which I currently have on order. I am off on a liveaboard in a weeks time and am wanting to get a port cover ordered before my housing and dome arrives, and had settled on one of the Hoodie Lens Caps (- LensCoat), but need to know what the external diameter of the dome is so I can determine what size i need. Also what is the diameter of the stock port in case I can use the same cover with both ports?
Cheers
Dave

... but need to know what the external diameter of the dome is so I can determine what size i need. Also what is the diameter of the stock port in case I can use the same cover with both ports?
Cheers, Dave
Both ports are 4 3/4 inches.

Cheers for that,
the Medium fits from 3.75" to 4.25", the Large 4.25" to 4.75", and the XLarge 4.75" to 5.25" so its between the Large and XLarge. Guess its better tight where it wont fall off rather than too loose, so reckon Large is the way to go. Anyone else used these hoods?
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom