Zen Dome questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Furnari

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a WA-100 dome coming for use with my E-M1 and Olympus housing, and I've got a couple of questions:
-Can I use the 12-50 in it? The lens seems to be about the same length as the 60mm so physically it should fit. Optically?
-I could swear I saw something someplace about someone jerry-rigging the Olympus clip-on macro adapter onto the Zen dome- possible?

Funari--I had the same question and asked Zen Dome about it, never heard back. Wisnu, who posts bunches of great shots on the Indonesia Forum, has a hinge adapter for a diopter setup on (I think) a Nauticam housing w/ a dome port. I saw a shot of his of his daughter using it on a dive and I believe it is a Nauticam product. It suggests it can be done but it would have to be done right, not a "duct tape & super glue" diy job. I bet ReefNet would make one for their SubSee diopter system if it can be done, might be worth a check with them.

Optically I would not expect any problems (and certainly a nice gain on field of view) but I wouldn't know about lens operation w/ the 12-50. If you have full function now for the 12-50 (ie--the right zoom gear collar) in an Oly standard port you would think it should be fine in a dome. Ah, but that's why we have oceans, so you can find out uw! // ww

In case anyone is wondering, it turns out the 12-50 does NOT work in the Zen dome. I haven't checked the shots to be sure, but although it locked focus (barely) at 12mm, it wouldn't lock at any other focal length, with or with out the Oly wet macro lens. My testing was conducted at pretty much the last minute in a bathtub before a dive trip (long story), so your results may vary. I may try later with a dry diopter, but I can't imagine that an extra layer of glass would get the 12-50 to yield better results than the 14-42. Bummer, because the electric zoom operation with the E-M1 is pretty nice.

I did use the high-grade 3-M velcro to create an interference fit with the Oly macro adapter, it seems to hold it in place over the dome, and it did seem to lock focus in air. I'm going to borrow a 14-42 this weekend and see if it works. Keep your fingers crossed- maybe being cheap can pay off once in a while...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom