Zena to LaZer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cfelliot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife is thinking about moving from a Zena to a LaZer.

1)Are the bladder/inflator hose etc. swappable to the LaZer.
2)Can just the harness be ordered?

Thanks,
Chuck

If you take apart the Zena, you can re-use the shoulder section and the bladder assembly on the Lazer.

A Lazer vest retails for $180, and the waist panels retail at $38, you you are looking at around $218 to make the switch.

Scott

Thanks Scott,

I'll check with my dealer.

Chuck

The original question was more of a fact-finding query than a solid decision.

When my wife purchased her Zena she ordered a small from Scubatoys. When we received it, the trial fit indicated that the small was find in the shoulders, but that she would require a medium vest. Scubatoys swapped it into that combo no problem!

Three years later, my wife tells me that with our new steel tanks the Zena tends to shift on her back more than she’d like underwater. The shoulder straps are tightened as far as they go.

We went to our local Zeagle dealer today and got the suggestion of shortening the vest segment of the shoulder strap by folding it down and sewing it in position thereby allowing the shoulder straps to be tightened more firmly.

Wouldn't it be possible to simply get an extra small shoulder panel, or are those not available?

Your wife's experience is interesting to me since it just proves that the same equipment can fit people so differently. I also dive a Zena, but often don't even bother to pull the shoulder straps tight since I find that once the 4 body straps are tightening down, there's no movement or shifting of my BC and tank. I also found that I needed the shoulder straps tightened even less when using Steel 95 tanks vs. AL80s.

I'm absolutely NOT discounting her experiences at all, just am fascinated how different experiences can be between people. I hope she finds the perfect solution.

Back
Top Bottom