Zero to Hero? The Good ole' Days? You can't please anyone!

Are you tired of threads about the good old days?

• Yes - The amount of beating this dead horse is ridiculous

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Yes - But the entertainment of a soap opera is addictive

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • Yes - Wormil invades CD dreams and puts things in and around his mouth.

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Yes - Thank God someone started a poll about this

Votes: 12 20.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For most diving many of the "modern toys" are so unnecessary.

well, I'd be OK with doing the Mike Nelson double hose 'thing' in my local fresh water quarry, but put me in a remote liveaboard-advanced diver conditions situation, and 1950's-1960's technology ain't gonna cut it, at least for me.

I'll admit it's kinda neat to visit the 'vintage' forums here and look at all the 'collectables' people have (I even own a few myself), but honestly I've NEVER seen anyone actually diving these 'collectables' in the real world.....the only people I see diving old-ish gear are those who either can't afford new stuff, or they're not 'gearheads' and feel their old (but definitely non-collectable grade gear) is sufficient and they're rather sink spare cash into trips or fancy cameras instead, which is fine, if they're happy, that's what counts.

well, I'd be OK with doing the Mike Nelson double hose 'thing' in my local fresh water quarry, but put me in a remote liveaboard-advanced diver conditions situation, and 1950's-1960's technology ain't gonna cut it, at least for me.

I'll admit it's kinda neat to visit the 'vintage' forums here and look at all the 'collectables' people have (I even own a few myself), but honestly I've NEVER seen anyone actually diving these 'collectables' in the real world.....the only people I see diving old-ish gear are those who either can't afford new stuff, or they're not 'gearheads' and feel their old (but definitely non-collectable grade gear) is sufficient and they're rather sink spare cash into trips or fancy cameras instead, which is fine, if they're happy, that's what counts.

Let see, some of us vintage guys dived the Spiegel Grove, the Oriskany, deco dives,
150'+ dives and all matter of other dives. You should have been with us last month diving on one of the Jupiter Dive center boats, you would have seen about a dozen. The diver in the middle photo is full cave certified, he rather do vintage.

Attachments

• Jupiter Dive Center (2) (Small).JPG
    Jupiter Dive Center (2) (Small).JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Jupiter dive (1) (Small).jpg
    Jupiter dive (1) (Small).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 77
  • Jupiter dive (Small).jpg
    Jupiter dive (Small).jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 74

Lots of folks are into "vintage" just about anything. You see 'em on the highway all the time in their old Mustangs and El Camino's. I've got friends who are still into vacuum tube stereo gear. They claim it just sounds better. Couldn't prove it by my ear, but it makes 'em happy.

I figure a lot of folks who dive Mistrals and Aquamasters are just into the old stuff for it's own sake. Nothing wrong with that if it makes 'em happy.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey, I enjoy new toys too, but I know that they are not needed. I play with them one at a time and then throw them into the closet.

Hey, I enjoy new toys too, but I know that they are not needed. I play with them one at a time and then throw them into the closet.

I fully agree, a gadget should never replace the needed skills that gadget does. Otherwise we end up with some kids today that can't figure out if what you buy rings up to $4.68 and hand them a ten and they struggle to figure out you have to give them 32 cents change on their own (and I've seen this happen).

I fully agree, a gadget should never replace the needed skills that gadget does. Otherwise we end up with some kids today that can't figure out if what you buy rings up to $4.68 and hand them a ten and they struggle to figure out you have to give them 32 cents change on their own (and I've seen this happen).

Or old people who can't work a simple device like a computer. Works both ways...

... I think you meant to say five dollars and 32 cents change ... :D

I see that all the time ... makes me wonder when they stopped teaching arithmetic in school.

But now that everybody uses a computer with an on-board calculator, I guess we don't need those skills anymore ...

... kinda like the dive computer vs tables arguments we see here on ScubaBoard all the time, eh?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom