Zeta Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCruiser54

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had purchased a Zeta regulator several years ago. It was the slickest breathing regulator I had owned at the time. However, after two years of use (light with annuals performed) it would free flow on almost any occasion. Anyone know a good cure for this (other than fishing weight)?

I am near enough to Houston Texas to get it serviced there if anyone knows a good tech.

Have you changed the mouthpiece by any chance? I was just at the Oceanic reg clinic, and they mentioned that certain non standard mouthpieces can cause a venturi effect and hold it in freeflow. What initiates the freeflow?

Have you changed the mouthpiece by any chance? I was just at the Oceanic reg clinic, and they mentioned that certain non standard mouthpieces can cause a venturi effect and hold it in freeflow. What initiates the freeflow?

Did they identify the problem mouthpieces? Are "they" Toyota engineers for their day job? Sounds a little fishy to me.

I have had a Zeta for about six years now and have heard of the mouthpiece/venturi thing, too. I just had mine 'tweeked' back a bit and the freeflow stopped. I only use mine as a back-up now.

Did they identify the problem mouthpieces? Are "they" Toyota engineers for their day job? Sounds a little fishy to me.

...nope, it's legit ! I've heard that many a time about the Zetas.....about it recommended they be used with their 'special' mouthpieces......I've also heard they are rather touchy to tune properly.....and they have no 2nd-stage 'detune' knob so if they are tuned a little to aggressively you can't dial them back to stop freeflow....so while they are said to be good performers, overall they are too tempramental for me to ever consider using.

In fact, I have seen this "Special Mouthpiece" problem and it was cured when I used the one supplied by Oceanic which was slightly longer than the standard ones.

Have you ever changed the lever arm ? After time, there is a slight groove in the rubber that will open the air stream, starts like a minor leak but if it was stored for some time you might not notice it.

Haha, I'll pass on that question to my buddy's that work at Toyota :wink:. It is a true situation, this was from the main service and waranty guy from Oceanic. He said in particular mouthpieces like the Sea-Cure moldable ones tend to set off freeflows with a venturi effect.

If you look at the repair manual for the Zeta, they have 3 mouthpiece part #'s, all identified as "mouthpiece, Zeta long/standard/small", whereas all the other Oceanic repair manuals only show one part # for "mouthpiece" on them.

Mr. Fix has a good point. The last time your reg was overhauled, did you see what parts they replaced? I just serviced a Zeta for a customer who was complaining about free-flowing on occasion. We called up Oceanic's Canadian distributor, and had them send us a new lever arm, as well as a new valve seat in addition to the standard service kit. I installed the new bits, obviously totally cleaned the existing parts, and his is working fine. I do agree tho, it is a touchy reg, sort of like the Omega.

Zeta regulators use a pilot design. They are a bit on the touchy side, even a good wack can put them out of adjustment. If the reg is properly adjusted and it still free flows easy have them change the lever arm and the small spring that goes under it. Some guys don't disassemble this section of the reg because it can be a PITA to get it back together without launching the spring across the room.

I purchased it new. Used it the first year with no problems. After it's first annual, it seemed to be a bit touchy and was very easy to breath... The second annual and it wanted to free flow when you entered the water. I tried to "thump it" in the palm of my hand, I tried to keep it in my mouth, I tried to hold it inverted, I tried all of the easy in the water cures, including haveing my dive buddy loan me his octopus and turn my air off and then on again to no avail.

I took it back to the shop and asked them to check the pressures and make sure it was set to factory setting.... It seemed to work ok for the next trip and then did it again. I took it out of service and gave it back to the teck to "detune" as much as possible to keep it from free flowing.

I have not used it for a couple of years. I will check the mouthpiece issue as I did use Seacure's on my other Oceanic Regulators due to the comfort factor... I don't know if I have one on the Zeta, I'll have to check. I do have one on my Delta 3 and my Mk25.S600 as well.

I do know that when the problem started, it was all stock...

I see that you have the same lever problem. You can check it yourself, open the cover of the Zeta, remove the diaphragm and attach the regulator to a tank.
Submerge the Zeta into some water and if you see small bubbles coming from under the lever arm then, it is the Arm that needs changing.

Back
Top Bottom