Zinc springs and corrosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For years, I've always read about the dangers of zinc, and how it will give out on you at any moment, etc etc etc. Is this still an accepted statement?

I'm asking because I have been diving (for well more then a year) bolt snaps which I bought from Lowes. They were labeled as stainless steel snaps, but didn't specify the spring type(is it zinc? Is it made from magic? Stainless? unknown). So given that, I of course assume it's zinc, but the price is right(they are currently clearanced because Lowes is getting rid of them from inventory at 96c). Obviously saving 7$ is not worth that big a deal...but I am trying to understand how zinc corrodes, specifically after research it seems that the diving most of us do(in hard water, in water that is between 0 and 30c, is unlikely to corrode zinc.

So, help me Scubaboard DIR braintrust...you're my only hope.

Sounds like a thing that will fail at the worst possible time just to save a few bucks.

Idk man, its a gamble.

in the grand scheme of things, bolt snaps isn't really the place to save money

Ya, nickels and dimes are nothing when it comes to peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For years, I've always read about the dangers of zinc, and how it will give out on you at any moment, etc etc etc. Is this still an accepted statement?

I'm asking because I have been diving (for well more then a year) bolt snaps which I bought from Lowes. They were labeled as stainless steel snaps, but didn't specify the spring type(is it zinc? Is it made from magic? Stainless? unknown). So given that, I of course assume it's zinc, but the price is right(they are currently clearanced because Lowes is getting rid of them from inventory at 96c). Obviously saving 7$ is not worth that big a deal...but I am trying to understand how zinc corrodes, specifically after research it seems that the diving most of us do(in hard water, in water that is between 0 and 30c, is unlikely to corrode zinc.

So, help me Scubaboard DIR braintrust...you're my only hope.
I have a few snaps that I bought at lowes 5-6 years ago that are still going strong.

With that being said, Piranha Dive, TDL, McMaster Carr, etc have them cheap enough that I don't think you'll see a huge savings by going with Lowes snaps, and you'll have piece of mind knowing they're all SS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom