Zip Tie Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

berty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This may seem like a really stupid question....

Are the zip ties that I see on various scuba gear the same zip ties that you can get at any Radio Shack/Target/etc? Are there higher quality zip ties? Or is any zip tie going to work? Specifically, I'm thinking of regulator mouthpiece zip ties.

I told you this was going to seem silly.

Thanks in advance.

Yes they are the same zip ties. You can buy them at a diev shop but they seem the same as the hardware store variety to me.

You said you were thinking of the ones on the reg, but if you are thinking of using zipties for other items on your gear, like attach bolt snaps etc, i would recommend using some cave line insted.

I buy them in bulk from Lowes, much cheeper than the dive shops around here. I usually get the pack with different sizes (more useful)...

Vickie

Wendy:
Yes they are the same zip ties. You can buy them at a diev shop but they seem the same as the hardware store variety to me.

You said you were thinking of the ones on the reg, but if you are thinking of using zipties for other items on your gear, like attach bolt snaps etc, i would recommend using some cave line insted.
Zip ties (AKA Tie Wraps) in my world are UV and Non UV resistant (for holding stuff on TV towers). If you are going to use tie wraps, get the UV resistant types. They tend to not harden with age and not fail as quickly. They are usually black in color and can be found in the electric supply departments at home Depot and Loewes. They also sell stainless and brass bolt snaps too.

Wendy:

Just took a DIR-F class - After only 4 dives! Got squared away on the attachments. Was looking to fill my emergency kit when I realized that I really didn't know what kind of zip tie was on the regulator.

Thanks again.

The whole "don't use zipties use caveline" is silly... sorry Wendy, but it is a crock. *Caveline* is for folks who need to feel special. If caveline were really that great your regulator mouth piece and wing inflator mouth piece would be tied on with *caveline*.

Bill said it, black is what you want if you are afraid of UV rays blowing away all your attachments UW.

Personally I use the ones I bought in a tub at Costco, they are white and they last so long I will never be able to use the whole tub up!

BILLB:
Zip ties (AKA Tie Wraps) in my world are UV and Non UV resistant (for holding stuff on TV towers). If you are going to use tie wraps, get the UV resistant types. They tend to not harden with age and not fail as quickly. They are usually black in color and can be found in the electric supply departments at home Depot and Loewes. They also sell stainless and brass bolt snaps too.

UV resistant? Who knew?! OK, maybe this wasn't a stupid question.

I've found some zip ties have the "teeth" closer together and that can help in making something like a mouthpiece more secure. Obviously doesn't matter for a clip or anything where you're not tightening it around a fixed size object.

Cheaper than in a dive store????????????????????

Now that was a big surprise....not !

Zip ties are your friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom