Zip ties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
For those of you that put zip ties on your luggage for security while traveling...do you bring dive shears or something else sharp in your carry-on so that you can get the ties off? Obviously carrying a dive knife in a carry-on is not advisable......

I take my leatherman tool along in my carry-on and use the side cutters on the pliers to cut the ty-wraps.

nail clippers, which are good for the annoying hangnails that will invariably appear during a trip, are good for cutting thru zipties.

If the other travelers look at me funny while I'm gnawing at the zip ties, I use my pocket knife.

(true story: Traveled to Australia last year for vacation, and when passing through LAX's International terminal security checkpoint, they stopped me because of my 3-inch (blade) pocket knife that locked open. Guard said I couldn't take it on the aircraft because it would lock open and that if I wanted to take it with me to Sydney, I would need to check it. Talk about being oversenstitive!)

That's what I carry, it also helps out if you have to overhaul one of the jet's engines at 30,000 ft.

ID

I guess I can understand why you would put zip ties on your luggage when your flying especially international, but have you ever received your luggage and the ties were gone?
When my wife and I got separated from our luggage in Nassau and it caught the next flight from Ft. Lauderdale none of the security ties we had in place were in place when we got our luggage back. Nothing was missing, but then I don't think we checked anything of real value. My regs and camera rode with me.

One lady at air port security had no idea what they were and almost didn't let me on the plane with the regs in Nassau.

Tom

After reading some of the posts on this thread that were written before 11 Sept., I'm wondering how everyone is going to get the zip ties off now? Twist them off with small pliers?

I keep an eye out for brightly colored zip ties. Hot pink and orange are my favorites. No, they don't protect the contents by themselves, we also use combinations locks, but when we claim our luggage it's easy to tell at a glance if someone has been into or attempted to get into our luggage and we can inspect it right there. Chances of airport personnel having wild colored ties to match ours is very slim.

The really valuable stuff is in our carry ons but the outside pockets still might hold some interesting stuff!

Luvdiving....We've always carried nail clippers for the zip-ties so if those are ourlawed, I don't know what we'll use. If nail clippers aren't allowed, I doubt a small Leatherman with pliers will be either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom