Zoom gear for Olympus 12-60mm lens ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stargazer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just acquired the Zuiko 12-60mm lens for my e620. I have the PT-E06 Olympus housing and PPO-E04 dome port. Olympus does not yet make a zoom gear for the 12-60mm lens. I believe Athena does, but it is ridiculously expensive. Any suggestions on how to come up with an equivalent zoom gear that will work for this lens ? I am considering having one machined in metal or plastic at this point absent any other ideas (which also wouldn't be inexpensive).

I've seen large-loop velcro used for this purpose. The inovative u/w photog wrapped the velcro around the len's zoom ring and it was enough for the housing's gear teeth to grab on to, turning the zoom.

That's definitely one of the more creative ideas I've heard, and creative uses of velcro. I wonder how controllable a velcro gear would be ? If nothing else, it sounds like a good back-up if a real gear can't be found or made.

You will need more than just a gear to make the 12-60 work. With your PPO-E04 port you will need the Olympus extension for the 7-14 zoom and the extension ring for the 1.4 tele-converter to keep the lens from hitting the inside glass extended to 60 mm. If you have the Olympus gear for the 14-54/11-22 zooms lenses, it can be made to work.
Not sure that this gear is in stock any longer. The Extension port for the 7-14 also works with the 14-54/11-22 if you have those lenses without the need for the 1.4 tele converter extension ring.

Phil Rudin

Thanks Phil - I had assumed that I was going to have to get at least one of these extension rings if not both. But the gear was the sticking point since there isn't a ready-made solution, it seems - but I'll look around for the gear you mention for the 14-54mm/11-22mm lenses (neither of which I have). I've been in touch with Reef Photo & Video about this also, where I got the port in the first place.

There's 2 extension rings for this system and you basically need both of them. With the bigger one only, you'll have the use of 12 to approx. 50mm of yr lens.....(lens touching the glass)
With the 2 together you'll have the use of 18 to the full 60mm. Between 12 and 18mm you'll then have nice round pictures.... something you don't want I presume!
It's a choice on which end you want to loose a bit before you take the plunge.

I used the gear that Phil mentioned and attached it the same way... works perfect! They're still available overhere in Europe.
If you need any help getting one, just let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks Pennywise, I have the PPZR-E02 gear on order from Reef Photo & Video, although it is apparently backordered at the moment. If they can't deliver it in a reasonable amount of time, I'll take you up on your offer to help me find one over there. May I ask how you fitted it to the 12-60mm lens - did you need to cut or alter it somehow ?

Back
Top Bottom