Zoop Display Floods - WTF?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcoreytaylor

Registered
Reaction score
I've just recently returned to Canada from a trip to San Jose Del Cabo, Mexico. While diving a sea mount in the Sea Of Cortez my trusty Zoop went blank and stopped working. I've had this computer for a few years now, so I thought perhaps the battery had died. Luckily I carry a backup computer (Oceanic B.U.D. - a category of product Suunto should consider, as many of us experienced divers would purchase) - and was able to complete my dive and safety stops without incident.

It wasn't until later that I realized there was a water bubble moving across the display of the Zoop (!), so anticipating that the battery compartment had flooded I removed the battery cover to discover that the battery compartment was completely dry. I recorded a short video to capture the water bubble on the Zoop display. The water is no longer visible on the display, leading me to believe it has either evaporated (?) or has worked it's way into the main housing. In either event, the Zoop has ceased to work.

***Edited: Upon removing the plastic display screen shield the water bubble is still present and very visible.

I've tried researching this particular issue but have not been able to find any usable information. Apparently this is not a common problem.

Obviously there exists a multitude of dive computers on the market, many - if not most - at a much higher retail price than the Zoop. However, I have really come to rely on the Zoop as an incredibly dependable and rugged dive computer which has served me well over 100's of dives. I recommend it to everyone - which is why I'm so confused and disappointed about this.

I recorded a video showing the bubble which can be viewed here: Dropbox - IMG_6807.MOV

Last edited:
wow...that sucks. If you do a search, there are some post on scuba board regarding how to separate the suunto puck style computer case (something to do with using a credit card or other thin plastic to seperate the tabs holding it togehter)...perhaps you will be lucky and upon drying out you can get your zoop to work again. It would be interesting if the o-ring between the two halves of the case is in disrepair (cracked/rotted/split) or if it is still good. Perhaps one of the small o-rings on the buttons failed...it would be interesting to see a video of you taking it apart to see how difficult it would be to service the internal o-rings.

If you think your zoop is toast and are not interested in tearing into it, would you be willing to send to me? My wife, kids, and I each have Suunto puck style computers and I would love to tear into a dead unit to explore how feasible it would be to change out the internal o-rings. Let me know.

Cheers,

-Z

Go onto the SUUNTO website and initiate a return to their repair centre.

I have personally done this in the past and have been impressed with the service I received.

Don't expect manufacturers to do their customer service over discussion boards.

Good luck with it. if it is under warranty maybe no problem but if not, just get a non suunto computer to replace it cuz they can't fix their own junk. Better read other threads on this forum on those suunto Gekkos and Zoops before you say you are bound and determined to get another one. If you send it to them be prepared to pay them for looking at it and they won't tell you a price. They will just send you an email to either agree and pay which you have no idea how much. or you can click disagree and they will keep your computer and "recycle" it thats what I just went through with them. Needless to say I spent big money on an other than Suunto computer...

And remember that even if it is out of warranty, if you used the right credit card to buy it, you've got another year's extension on the base warranty.

Computer electronics under water. What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom