ZS7 + original Housing....looking for Ideas to att. / conect the fiber optic cable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaronad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I use the ZS7 + the original Housing....
Amazon.com : Panasonic DMW-MCTZ10 Marine Case Underwater Housing for Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5, DMC-ZS7 and DMC-TZ10 : Underwater Camera Housings : Camera & Photo

looking for Ideas how to connect the fiber optic cable to the housing ?

Should I disassemble the housing diffuser? and use some kind of a sticker ?
Or is there another solution already suitable for this cases:)

Please advise....I don't want to improvise when some of you already solved it :)

Many thx

There are two methods that I know of. Any solution needs to solve two problems. First, to hold the fibre optic cable where it can 'sense' the output of the camera's built in flash. Second, to block the light from that internal flash to prevent backscatter.

1. The DIY solution is to drill a small hole on the upper surface of the clip on diffuser that is just the right size to fit the end connector of the fibre-optic cable. Push that through the hole and tie it in place. Waxed dental floss is a strong and resilient material for this. Then to block the light from the flash, push some aluminium foil into the far end of the clip-on diffuser.

2. Use the 'Clear Photo System' from Inon. Try Googling that search term. For this system, you remove the clip-on diffuser an connect the fibre optic cable to the mounting point that is revealed under it. A reflective sticker is placed on the angled surface at the bottom of the mounting point to reflect the flash light upward to the cable. Finally, the camera's internal flash is covered by a plastic filter film, that is opaque to visible light but allows non-visible light to pass through, before putting the camera in the housing.

The second solution is more elegant for underwater use. However, it does suffer one drawback that the filter over the camera's internal flash may need to be removed if using the camera above water later. There are ideas on the Internet on how to make a more easily removable visible light filter using exposed slide film.

I currently use the Inon method. If you choose that, I would recommend trying it and using the slide film method when you have gone through the 3 spare filters provided on purchase.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom