Zuiko 50mm Macro lens - a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AbyssalPlains

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been using the Sigma 105mm so far and feel that while this is a great lens for land it might not be the best choice for uw macro shooting, simply because it is so powerful that I have a hard time locating the subject and keeping it in the frame. Also, with my DS-51 strobes I can't go with apertures over 14 or underexposure results. This in turn brings issues with depth of field. So I have been thinking about the Zuiko 50mm macro lens. But I don't want to shell out a lot of cash for something comparable to my 14-54 zoom lens, if that is case. Is it worth to buy the dedicated 50mm lens as opposed to using my zoom lens for macro, with a wet lens attached if additional magnification is desired?

I agree, the Sigma-105 can be hard to use and is over-kill for many macro subjects, but still a great lens.

IMHO, get the 50mm! The 50mm is a macro lens. While you can take some nice macro images at the far end of your 14-54mm, it isn't really designed for macro.

I'm taking both lenses to Indonesia next month.

I agree, the Sigma-105 can be hard to use and is over-kill for many macro subjects, but still a great lens.

IMHO, get the 50mm! The 50mm is a macro lens. While you can take some nice macro images at the far end of your 14-54mm, it isn't really designed for macro.

I'm taking both lenses to Indonesia next month.

Thanks for your feedback, jlyle! Would you be willing to share more information how the dedicated macro lens differs from the far end of the zoom lens? I guess I don't understand enough of the optics involved to see how a 50 mm fixed lens would be different from a zoom lens set to 50mm...

Btw, I wanted to post some of my pics earlier, but don't know how. Is there a gallery function or something on SB?

You can read about the differences between telephoto groups, macro lenses, etc. on wikipedia.

In this case, the 50mm lens is capable of 1x ( 35mm-film-equivalent), while the 14-54mm can only do 0.52x (35mm-film-equivalent).

The 50mm lens is designed for close-up macro. The 14-54mm is a zoom-telephoto.

At the top of the page is a link to "photo galllery." You can also link to photos that are hosted on the web using the image tags.

Here's one with the 50mm:
ronquil640.jpg

With the Sigma 105mm:
goby640.jpg

This is with the 14-54 @ 54mm:
color640.jpg

I use the 50 MM with my E-330 and I love it.I also have a 60 MM I use with my nikon D- 50 setup and there is no difference that i can see in quality.

I was told by Ryan at Reef and Photo NOT to bother using the wet lens with the 50 MM ,He claimed it does not perform as well as it would with the 105 MM .I have not tried it so i don't know.

The 50 is an outstanding optic, and I would recommend any 4/3 user buy it and master it before buying the 105. I want long term underwater photographers, not people who get frustrated and take up golf.

A wet mate lens, like a Nexus Wet Lens on the Ikelite port, or a 67mm threaded lens on the front of the Athena port, does 2 things to get higher magnification. The first, and most important, is it reduces the minimum focus distance of the lens allowing you to get closer. This is largely impractical because of the 50mm lens' short min. focus distance, but is very advantageous when you have some breathing room (Sigma 105 or Sig 150).

The second benefit, which is really more of a side affect, is the macro lens magnifies by a factor of 4/3. If this little bit of magnification justifies reduced depth of field and less accurate auto focus for you, then you will get some benefit from the macro lens. It doesn't for most, but there are exceptions to every rule...

I want long term underwater photographers, not people who get frustrated and take up golf..

No worries, Ryan! A LOT would need to happen before I would take up golf over UW photography. In fact, the only thing I can think of would be a serious brain injury.

:D

Every time I dive with my E-330 I enjoy U/W photography a little more each time. I just dont like the fact that it takes me several hours to get the camera ready for the next day of diving. I worry a lot about flooding when I am greasing all o-rings.

Golf, I would never do.

I dont have a 50mm yet but I have the flat port for one. I am still learning with the 14-54.

Gus, I have not tried the 50MM but the 35MM is a nice lens too. I think the 35mm has a shorter minimum focus distance than the 50mm. So it gets you closer and lets you get more in the viewfinder when going for distance/wide angle shots. Might be a good starter for Macro before going to the 50 straight away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom