Brazil Trip - Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's always sad to hear when governments do that IMO. What were some of your specific complaints about the rental experience. Was it just too expensive in order to offset the taxes?

Out of the water is still more important to me than the diving so I will definitely mark Noronha on my itinerary, thanks!

Expensive and "old" gear. It was properly functional though, but the regulators I used there were the factor I decided to purchase my own quality gear.

Fernando de Noronha has some of the most amazing beaches I have ever seen, people are super nice - Brazilians are nice people but there people are nicer - and the food is great. For Canadian standards you will not find things super expensive (a good meal for two with drinks for the equivalent of about 60ishCAD), but you can find cheaper options if you are on a tight budget, but remember it is an island, usually supplies are limited on islands and prices tend to be on the high side. Another thing is not to leave for last minute, lodging is limited (and on the expensive side) and flights fill up quickly, especially during holidays.

If you can splurge a little bit, I recommend the Varanda Restaurant and I highly recommend Mesa da Ana, it was the most amazing dinning experience my wife and I have had so far.

I liked the dives there; however, I was unlucky with pelagic activity and I was expecting healthier reefs. Saw many nice big turtles though.

It is one of those paradisiacal places that makes you almost cry when leaving...

Maybe this thread belongs in the dive computer section, but I'll give it a go here.

I'm going to Brazil (all over) to travel and do a lot of diving. I have been looking at many dive shops, particularly in the Recife and Rio areas. Looks like there's lots of good organizations and places to dive. Either during this trip or shortly after I was looking at getting a dive computer; therefore I was hoping to rent/test some out down there.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with suggestions of dive shops that let you rent computers and/or what brands they carry? As I said, I found a lot of good looking shops, but I can't find any that list what they rent or if they rent at all. I'm not picky and would like to try many. Does anyone know what REC computers are available in Brazil? I know Suunto is carried down there, but can't find much more information...hopefully the import taxes and regulations don't drastically diminish what's available.

I will be in Rio in a couple of weeks. I have read that the closest decent diving is in Arraial Do Cabo. Has anyone been there? What is the best way to get there from Rio?

I will be in Rio in a couple of weeks. I have read that the closest decent diving is in Arraial Do Cabo. Has anyone been there? What is the best way to get there from Rio?

Arraial is about your closest reasonable diving.
Your two options are bus (about 10 per day prices around R$80.00) or rent a car and drive, the latter of course will give you an easy way to visit the many beautiful beaches in the region of Buzios / Cabo Frio.

For buses just Google this phrase:
passagem onibus rio arraial do cabo

Operator, I recommend Arraial Sub. Just Google the name.

Pousada I would recommend Capitão N'Areia, easy walking distance from the port.
::: Capitão N´Areia Pousada :::

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom