Side Mount Bicker Battle...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the sort of nonsense that people try to counsel you about. If you took a little time to research before replying, then you'd get more out of it.
Do not misunderstand again, but if you think I have to 'do research' before answering you, you severely underestimate me.

A single-piece webbing harness with chest and waist D-rings and a buckle that runs through metal plate at the back. The DSMB and spool live on the rear crotch D-ring. A long hose hog routed from the right. A short hose bungee-necklaced around the neck from the left.

Am I describing my backmount or sidemount rig?
For some? neither
Two words: Leg Pockets
Second two words: storage pack. :wink:

Signal OOA - Locate and secure air-source - signal "ok" - ascent.
Sidemount or backmount?
I hope you teach both in more detail. Otherwise not many of your students would be able to return for the advanced class :wink:

If you don't understand, ask. These are personal skills... one's control and mastery of one's body to perform a given function. For example... like running. It's running... regardless of what brand of sneakers you wear.
You describe something some (most?) people can take a lifetime to never achieve.

Zero difference. The clue is in the name "NON-TECHNICAL" skills. Google the term if you haven't heard it before. Ignorance isn't bliss.
Zero seems a bit to underestimated to me, but I yield the point, don't think there is much of a difference either.
Would still say small differences exist.

Again, you fail entirely to comprehend. These are psychological SKILLS. They are the capacities of the individual. What you are talking about are stressors. Entirely different.
I do not believe in those. It's as simple as that.

Beyond gas management, there are no differences.....and that's allowing you to 'forget' that diving independent doubles is hardly the preserve of sidemount divers...
In a normal OWD class doubles are not used, independed doubles are not even mentioned.

Your insistence on arguing is reaching borderline stupidity.... and this goes well beyond inane clutching at straws.
This is getting a bit 'out of line' don't you think?
Your reaction is 'borderline' in this instance perhaps.

Again... in an attempt to educate, I will point out the misunderstanding. Mission skills are attributable to specific tasks that the diver undertakes on specific dives. Your inability to listen, or comprehend, is reflected in your reply. IF... IF....IF... your mission is to penetrate a cave... then you learn mission specific skills; for instance reels and guidelines.
In an OWD class?

If that is too subtle for you... then consider if your mission was to survey a reef, or recover a ship's bell, or photograph nudibranch, or collect living fish samples from the mesopelagic zone...
You are loosing control I think. Calm down!

OF COURSE these aren't taught on a basic sidemount course!?!? Why would they? What sort of gibbering idiot would expect activity specific skills on a generic recreational open-water environment course?

Neither are any of those taught in a basic backmount course.

Sorry, but all I see "above" was incomprehension of a quite well articulated concept.
I believe you lost sight of that concept way before this particular sentence. :(

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread hijack split off so you can bicker battle without silting it out.

There is a time and a place for every type of diving. There are places in the caves where SM is best and BM is best. Simply put, you cannot place a screw with a hammer and nor can you place a nail with a screwdriver. I do not know of any dive that requires a somersault but I can do it as well as swim on my back or side in BM (and with a SS26 scooter). I have viewed the majority of the SM divers as acting on a fad instead of need. On boats SM divers are usually view as a pain in the backside. You also stated that, “That still leaves you with mass and drag and the only option is to just power yourself though that with ineffective plank-like fins with legs bent and taking the strain on your hips the whole time.” Which you have bent legs in almost all of you pictures from you web site. BTW, I love the split fins. If you want to see a SM German diver that I truly respect, then look up Oliver (nakatomi) on cave divers forum. OBTW, I do not believe your amount of dives. You state 6-10 years of diving, so you are not sure about how many years you have been diving? and you also state on you profile that you have 1000-2499 dives. So you are doing 167/250 dives a year? BS! I'm done!

Listen, I don't know how this happened, but suddenly this is a thread started by razorista, something that started on
another thread.... on a "very detailed SM valve drill video"....is this jerry springer or a serious Diving forum?
I hope this was not scubaboard...

There is a time and a place for every type of diving. There are places in the caves where SM is best and BM is best. Simply put, you cannot place a screw with a hammer and nor can you place a nail with a screwdriver.
Yes but diving is one activity, no nail or screw, just an single nail to hammer in.

I do not know of any dive that requires a somersault but I can do it as well as swim on my back or side in BM (and with a SS26 scooter).
Show me :wink: Where is the video?

I have viewed the majority of the SM divers as acting on a fad instead of need.
You have every right to have an opinion. Even if it is obviously wrong :wink:

On boats SM divers are usually view as a pain in the backside.
Only until they meet someone who knows what he is doing. Even the guides often want to take lessons than.

Which you have bent legs in almost all of you pictures from you web site.
Photo Positions, the guy behind the camera decides on timing and angle and with that the leg position shown.
I can do whatever I like in the vids and pics, someone will criticize something.

BTW, I love the split fins.
never used a spitfin outside of a pool in my life. Never allowed anyone to take pics or videos of that.

If you want to see a SM German diver that I truly respect, then look up Oliver (nakatomi) on cave divers forum.
Well he started disrespecting me first and harasing me online, so I have no respect left for him.

OBTW, I do not believe your amount of dives. You state 6-10 years of diving, so you are not sure about how many years you have been diving? and you also state on you profile that you have 1000-2499 dives. So you are doing 167/250 dives a year? BS! I'm done!
I often have to explain myself and do not need to prove anything anymore after this repeating at least 3 time here in scubaboard alone.

For me diving really started in 2011, tree years affer my OWD with less than sixty dives.
I reached 300 dives after about 1,5 years, just before I took formal basic gosidemount training.
Since than I do about 220 dives a year n average - and can easily prove that.

I understand why you like Oliver so much now though :wink:

Well he started disrespecting me first and harasing me online, so I have no respect left for him.
Ok, you really need to knock it off. This is a LIE. For stuff like this you were banned from the German forums.
You posted exactly the same made up stuff and people have given you lenghty answers, trying to explain something to you, like Andy is doing.
You have accused people of stalking and harasment because they answered you posts. That's it.

Yes, lying and accusing others of lying is a special trait of some, isn't it @Bennno?
I am really getting fed up with this you know.

What you are doing has been compared to stalking recently by NetDoc himself.
Just shut up!

What have I been lying about, Daniel?
Claiming that nakatomi has been harassing you is an outright lie. The exact same lie you have told about other people too. That's why you got banned from the German forums. For slandering and insulting people.

Thank you Tony for your kind words, the respect is entirely mutual!

Daniel, that's not exactly what happened :)
Much like everyone here, I was at first entertained by your postings of epic proportions (like in this thread) and your crude theories about diving in our local dive forums over in Europe.
It wasn't until you extended your distribution of "knowledge" deep into the field of cave and technical diving.
That's when I objected and started to call you out on it.
Many of our disagreements were centered around your lack of appreciation of training, downplaying and shifting the dangers and finally you advocating cave penetration without certification (which you claim you performed on many occasions).
In your highly simplified version of diving, not much can go wrong if someone is equipped with a Razor, a single bungee system and a pouch filled with tons of spare parts. And as of recent a helmet mounted Razor light.
I object to all that over-simplification.

Now how you can get into personal arguments with one of the most diplomatic posters of all time, Andy, is absolutely beyond my comprehension.
Just please try to leave me out of it and I'll try not to get involved either much less be accused of harassing you online :)

Back
Top Bottom