Liveaboards near Penang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sask

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to be in Penang, Malaysia for work in April. Can anyone recommend some liveaboards within 2-3 hour flight time from there? If not a liveabourd then good location ideas. I will be travelling alone so someplace suitable for that as well.

If you're specifically looking for liveaboards, sites like liveaboard.com will give you plenty of options.

The closest to Penang would probably be the Similans in Thailand. There are direct flights to Phuket (where most of the liveaboards operate from) from Penang. April is the tail end of the season for Similans liveaboards but should still be plenty of diving. Large selection of boats to choose from, from low end to high end. Lots of the liveaboard operators frequent this board and other scubaboard members can help you book.

If you are there in late April or later, I would suggest the east coast of peninsular Malaysia. Places like Redang Island, Perhentian, Tioman, etc. Easy diving with a short flight from Penang. Don't recommend in early April though, as the monsoons may not have died down and the waters could be rough and murky.

Similans are probably your best bet for easy to get to and diving.

Sipadan is in Malaysia and has great diving but a bit of process to get to from Penang

Pulau Payar is more of a day trip thing you could do on a weekend. Basically you catch a boat right in Penang and they take you to barge full of mostly tourists/snorkelers. The diving is "OK" for an easy day trip right from Penang (at a minimum, bring your own fins because the rentals are a joke).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom