What is the essential gear for an Ocean Wreck Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PfCaj where do you keep your pockerts? drop leg pocket, on the waist strap? or a dry suit pocket?
I have pockets sewn onto the outer thighs of my wetsuit and drysuit. On a swimmie trunks dive I have a harness pocket for trinkets and doodads.

If you are going to visit a wreck at recreational depths and do no penetration whatsoever, you really don't need anything more than you would bring to any other dive of that depth and duration.

There are different levels of wrecks, ranging from the shallow, scattered wreckage to deep wrecks filled with hanging wires and all manner of entanglement hazards and places to get hopelessly lost. Those different levels of wreck call for different levels of equipment and training. You should know what level of hazard you are going to encounter on the specific wreck you are going to dive before you do the dive.

You should also be fully aware of your actual skill level. A couple years ago some divers who were good, experienced divers (but not properly trained for advanced wreck diving) did a penetration on the Speigel Grove that required the use of a reel. Using a reel is a lot harder than it looks, and it takes practice. It took them a lot longer to get of the wreck than they had planned because of that, and, well, it was not good.

Totally agree. to Clarify my definition of a swim through is literally wide open, exits on either end within 15 feet ...to me this is not wreck penetration. I use the reel mostly to tie off on the wreck as I navigate around it if the current is ripping just in case I some how start drifting off the wreck. I practice and use it all the time and totally agree its not the easiest thing to do but feel comfortable in its use now. Dont think I will be getting into real wreck penetration. Too many starts not lining up. Training , reliable dive team, I dont consider an insta buddy (and they should not view me) reliable to the point that i would put myself in a situation to rely on them. I am enrolled in a Solo class that starts in Sept.

As for reels, I like a standard primary reel and then a finger spool for my (D)SMB. Sorry, I also use the terms interchangeably. The finger spool and SMB stay tucked together behind my butt on the BP. The primary reel stays clipped off near my butt on the base of my plate as well.

I'm also a big fan of thigh pockets for a spare mask and extra light.

It sounds like maybe you're asking more about what should one have in their Drift Kit than for a wreck?

For a wreck - assuming no penetration - I would say Gloves, 2 cutting devices (fishing line and other items tend to snag on wrecks), Drift Kit, Light and back-up light... OH - and a good plan with your buddy in case you get separated (like meeting at the upline or bow of the wreck).

You won't really need the spare mask or wreck reels, a finger spool would suffice for the SMB,

Every agency offers good wreck classes - they are great to take and do not penetrate (unless a 'swim through') unless you're trained. A silt out condition will could ruin your day in a heartbeat.

What do you consider essential gear for an Ocean wreck dive. I am trying to scale down as much as I can while still brining what i would potentially need. Do you carry the below?

1. Spare mask - where do you keep it?
2. Whistle - Again where do you keep it.
3. How many SMB/ DSMB's? I have one of each bungeed to my plate
4. How many reels? what size reel? is there a size that can both be used to launch a DSMB at depth and be used as a primary reel? Currently i have one of each (both Manta).

I am trying to get away with not using hip pockets on my waist stap or leg but the spare mask, whistle seem to have no home. I have considered stashing the whistle behind the backplate pad (OMS) but then it seems it would be hard to each in an emergency. Clipping it off to a Dring seems like it is in the way. Any ideas? what is your config? Do you carry a signal mirror for worst case scenario..ie boat leaving without you..
For a 2010 Wreck Expedition to the WWII Aircraft Carrier HMS Hermes off of east coast Sri Lanka, along with the waist belt mounted McMurdo Fastfind 210 PLB in Dive Canister, I brought a Halcyon Diver's Life Raft folded & stowed in a backplate pouch, and a Deep Sea Supply Hydration Pack mounted between the twinset cylinders.

We did a lot of drifting deco diving, and if the dive skiff lost sight of your SMB --you were essentially adrift in the Indian Ocean -->next land mass to the west being Madagascar some 3000 miles away. . .

Goody bag,I've gotten about 2 dozen shark teeth so far this year and a few cool empty shells off wrecks,
In my area slipper lobster like wrecks,so the goody bag is double duty.

I take nothing extra on wreck dives unless I plan penetration or extended deco,for a recreational dive more is rarely better.

The politically incorrect answer would be a wrench and a lift bag. ;-)

Seriously, the most important answer, as always, are your wits. A wreck that you don't penetrate is close enough to a large reef or pinnacle. The biggest risk is probably monofilament fishing line. Penetration is another matter entirely:

Wreck Penetration

Last edited:
Don't forget the Jersey upline!

What do you consider essential gear for an Ocean wreck dive.

It depends whether "wreck dive" means penetration, or not. A non-penetration dive needs no more logistics or equipment than an open-water dive to the same depth and conditions.

For a penetration dive, my list includes: redundant gas source, primary reel, safety spool, torch, 1-2 back-up torches, dsmb.

1. Spare mask - where do you keep it?

I see lots of divers rushing out to carry spare masks, but far too few divers properly configuring their primary mask. Get a velcro/neoprene strap and thread it directly through the mask strap attachment holes. Remove any attachments that can fail. There's really not much else on a mask that can fail other than the strap or attachment. If the mask develops leaks, replace it.

For non-decompression dives, a back-up mask is not critical equipment.

2. Whistle - Again where do you keep it.

Held snug and discrete on the LPI seems most common,

3. How many SMB/ DSMB's? I have one of each bungeed to my plate

1 for rec.
2 for tec

4. How many reels?

Penetration: 1x Primary and 2x Spool
Open Water: 1x 100-130ft (30-40m) Spool

what size reel?

What will the reel be used for?

is there a size that can both be used to launch a DSMB at depth and be used as a primary reel?

A single 200' reel is sufficient for recreational divers.

Side-handle reels are far superior (IMHO) to top-handle reels.

Carry a 100-130' finger spool as back up, for shallower deployments and for quick/short guideline tasks.

Honestly, most recreational divers never need more than a 100-130' finger spool, even as a primary.

I am trying to get away with not using hip pockets on my waist stap or leg

Thigh pockets on your exposure protection are probably the best all-round solution for back-mount diving. I don't know why you'd want to avoid them.

Clipping it off to a Dring seems like it is in the way. Any ideas?

'Danglies' from your rig is never a good option.

what is your config?

Backmount:
Virtually everything lives in thigh pockets.
- Right pocket contains all emergency kit: back-up DSMB and Spool, signalling kit, small slate with ascent plan (tec) etc
- Left pocket contains all routine kit: DSMB, spool, wetnotes, cutters/shears
- Small Ti knife on central waistbelt
- Backup torches on shoulder D-rings and secured to harness with rubber loops
- Primary reel and one spool on rear crotch D-ring
- Two trilobite cutters (one on each arm, attached to computer bungees)

Basically.... my backmount is very 'DIR'.

Sidemount:
DSMB and Spool on rear D-ring
Virtually everything else lives in butt pocket
- Wetnotes, arrows/cookies, diving 'star' tool and/or mini screwdriver, 2-4 double-enders
- Backup torch, backup DSMB and spool, backup tables, cutter/shears, small mirror.

Do you carry a signal mirror for worst case scenario..ie boat leaving without you.

Yes, if diving backmount (self-inspection) and offshore sites.

For offshore sites, I carry a 'drift kit' that includes varied visual and audible signalling methods and a small bag of water/juice.

Back
Top Bottom