New hose config - questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@halocline aren't prusik loops wonderful things!

they are nice, but what was described is not a prusik hitch, its a girth hitch. closely related, but different uses. if you're not into climbing, the names tend to be used interchangeably, with 'prusik' just meaning any knot used to hitch a loop of something (or the loop itself) to something else, and 'girth' resulting in childish giggles.

personally, i use a clove hitch to hitch a loop of shock cord the bolt snap, 'hitch' to the hose via a double fisherman / double double overhand, lock everything down with zip ties, and finally stow the bolt snap over the regulator adjustment knob. that way if its clipped off and you NEED IT, you can just give it a quick pull and it has enough give to reach your mouth. seems to also lay a bit nicer then when suspended from the hose.

saw that method on here a while back, cant find the original post off hand thought. completely not DIR, this is not legal advice, and your mileage may vary.

Attachments

• scuba knots.jpg
    scuba knots.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 38
I am also thinking about the 5' hose under the arm, etc.

I saw the comment about climbing on the boat, dropping the reg vs taking an arm off the climbing rail to snap off the primary, etc.

I think I would switch to my necklaced 2nd stage while in the water and snap off the long hose primary before I even got to the boat ladder.

Or am I thinking wrong about this?

I think I would switch to my necklaced 2nd stage while in the water and snap off the long hose primary before I even got to the boat ladder.

personally, with a recreational 5' hose, any excess gets placed into the lower webbing on the right side during the dive, and when at the safety stop, it gets re-stowed with an around the neck routing while remaining the primary regulator. this way there's no dangling loops of excess hose to get snagged on/crushed by anything while boarding, no surprise free flows from your shoulder, and if the reg is accidentally dropped, its only going to fall a few inches. once securely sitting down on the bench, and only then, is the primary second stage removed from the mouth, unwrapped from around the neck, and immediately stowed on the right shoulder d-ring.

not an instructor, so i keep my mouth shut on the boat, but seeing someone spit out/drop the reg while in the process of boarding makes always makes me cringe. seen em hit the ladder, the gunwale, or another diver many times. not an issue when when routed around the neck, but i think its a bad habit to get into in the first place.

Last edited:
once securely sitting down on the bench, and only then, is the primary second stage removed from the mouth

Why do you feel that it is important to keep your reg in your mouth after you are away from the danger of falling overboard?

Most of the boats I've been on have a mate waiting to help you on board. Once I'm safely onto the dive deck, they always ask "how was your dive?" I know that that's not just a courtesy but their way of making sure the diver is at least somewhat alert and "okay". Some boats use a numbering system for the divers, so they may also ask "what number are you?" I think it's important to respond to them. Which I have difficulty doing with a reg in my mouth.

Why do you feel that it is important to keep your reg in your mouth after you are away from the danger of falling overboard?

Most of the boats I've been on have a mate waiting to help you on board. Once I'm safely onto the dive deck, they always ask "how was your dive?" I know that that's not just a courtesy but their way of making sure the diver is at least somewhat alert and "okay". Some boats use a numbering system for the divers, so they may also ask "what number are you?" I think it's important to respond to them. Which I have difficulty doing with a reg in my mouth.

I just use the universal diver OK sign with my hand. I do not get into a conversation at the point of getting back on the boat as there are others waiting. A simple "ok" with my hand and my reg in my mouth lets them know I am good. We will shoot the breeze and talk about the dive once everyone is aboard.

IF you dive a 5' hose then the above solutions are perfectly fine and I would recommend them, but if you dive a "streamlined" profile with a 40" hose just keep it in your mouth until you are safely aboard and no one will think you a weirdo.

For the record I have a 5' hose and did try that config and I did not like the hose behind my neck. I will run into the same issue when I go side mount and I have decided to locate a left feed secondary reg to resolve that issue for me, prolly the DiveRite.

its just a personal preference and habit. have a few witness marks on my regset from when the hose was tucked in the belt, something/someone distracted me on the waddle from the ladder to the bench, and then a moment later you hear that sickening 'crunch' as the reg smashes into the deck. not an issue when routed behind the head as mentioned, but an ingrained habit non the less.

any sort of stalling between getting off the ladder and getting back to the bench can cause a traffic jam. if the dive op wants to chat about the dive immediately after getting off the ladder, they get an 'OK' sign, a wave off, and a point to the bench. not trying to be rude to em, but attempting to navigate around in a high traffic area on a pitching boat with a bunch of gear is not the time to be chit chatting.

I just use the universal diver OK sign with my hand. I do not get into a conversation at the point of getting back on the boat as there are others waiting.

any sort of stalling between getting off the ladder and getting back to the bench can cause a traffic jam.

Understood and totally agree. Responding to them doesn't slow me down - unless I pause long enough to clip off my reg so I can speak. They get "it was good" or "I am number 4" or similar, as I am moving it along.

I have been using the 40" hose under my arm on my single tank reg set since right after I finished OW certification. But, I just got a 60" hose, which I have not installed yet, to try, and being able to spit out my reg without "losing" it is the main reason why. Being able to respond to the boat crew when I get back on the boat is just one example for why I want that. I have a 7' hose on my doubles reg set and having it route behind my head doesn't bother me. But, having the excess length come untucked from behind my waist belt and float around does. If I like the 5' hose, I will get another one and have them on both my reg sets. The 7' hose can always go right back on if I ever get around to cave or advanced wreck training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom