Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those who didn't have the chance to take a look.

There is no car that fits the needs of everyone. I'm glad they are in a huge variety.

I got to see the two that came in at my LDS and helped set them up with the customer. I am going to order one. I was impressed enough that I don't see any need to dive before buying. The video shown above does a good job showing the features. It is highly configurable and can be streamlined or bristling with gear attached. The leg pockets are really good and make a lot of sense. I will miss the inside pockets on my classic where I keep my folding snorkel and signal mirror. The leg pockets are much easier to use an truly functional compared to the hard to access regular front pockets. I think Scubapro has hit a home run with this design. The hardcore wing guys will find less of an audience after this gets out into the wild.

I've watched the various videos posted on You Tube time and time again and the product obviously took a lot of time in terms of design , but my question is this - with sooooo many customized components and parts what happens when they break ? Yes, it's advertised as a modular product , but are SP dealers really going to stock all the replacement parts ? And if you're on a boat or trip ? There are a lot of pieces in the basic unit itself, without getting the add ons. Without going into the "dark side" discusion, the Hydros is the antithesis of a hogarthian unit or many basic bc designs. Will that be a problem?

Just dove my Hydros the last couple of days. Her are some takeaways.

-Donning the BC is in a standing position with a wetsuit on is easier than with my Zeagle Stiletto. The grippy rubberized material used in place of typical BC fabrics lets the BC 'grip' one shoulder while slipping into the opposite shoulder.

-Lack of a cumberbund is a plus for me at depth. There is only a dual adjustable waist strap to get in/out of or to tighten/loosen when necessary.

-The large integrated weight receptacles and weight pockets are truly one handed operational. I'm pulling my weights and throwing them(14lbs. Combined) onto the boat before climbing up from a dive. My knees thank me.

-The inflator control is very precise and you can sneeze minute amounts of air out of your tank for great buoyancy control. The dump valves also are very sensitive to light pulls on the controls and along with the triple bungee corded bladder let air out very precisely.

-The rubberized interior of the BC goes a major step in the right direction for me while head down and fins up on a dive looking into rocks for lobster here in Florida. It keeps my BC from riding up to my chest in this orientation unlike my Zeagle which had only fabric to grip my wetsuit/body. I could have dived a crotch strap but like to somewhat simplify my kit. And yes, there is a crotch strap available in the Hydros near future I believe.

-4 attachment points on the chest, 8 points on the waist, 2 points on the outer thighs, and 2 points on the back. There are too many ways to use these to describe, but I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the options available for clipping gear onto your kit.

-Air cell is designed very well and I didn't have any problem in any position underwater on any dives. The air does dump very quickly if fully inflated at the surface with both shoulder dump valves, so be ready to drop like a rock with a full press or pull.

-The Hydros is very streamlined and eliminates so much bulk. It truly felt like a glove comparatively to my Zeagle which always felt like a winter coat, respectively.

-Back inflation with this BC is great. Two trim weight pockets are available next to the single band cam strap on each side. Compared to my Zeagle which had minimal 'push' at the surface, the Hydros seems to want to make me snorkel back to the boat if I don't put weight in the trim pockets even with my normal steel 100s. So I would recommend using the trim weights.

-Love the modular bolt on and clip on design of the parts. Sure, there may be an availability on-demand issue in many places, but I more than likely will be able to fix a break myself at home in a week or less with a phone call versus a couple weeks at best via shipping it to ScubaPro.

-Rinsing and cleaning the BC post dive is even easier as there are almost no points on this thing for seawater to collect and hide from the garden hose. And it sure does dry with a few shakes.

Those are my main takeaways.

Overall I love the design and function of the Hydros Pro and look forward to using it for years to come.

-Back inflation with this BC is great. Two trim weight pockets are available next to the single band cam strap on each side. Compared to my Zeagle which had minimal 'push' at the surface, the Hydros seems to want to make me snorkel back to the boat if I don't put weight in the trim pockets even with my normal steel 100s. So I would recommend using the trim weights.

First, thank you for the great report.

Despite of the "naysayers" early on in this thread (and others on SB), this BC now appears to be a true innovation in BC design.

I am curious on how the BC does when trying to stay in a vertical position on the surface with trim weights on, do you still find yourself kicking with fins trying to keep your head up at all?

First, thank you for the great report.

Despite of the "naysayers" early on in this thread (and others on SB), this BC now appears to be a true innovation in BC design.

I am curious on how the BC does when trying to stay in a vertical position on the surface with trim weights on, do you still find yourself kicking with fins trying to keep your head up at all?

Thank you for reading the whole damn thing :)

I actually did surface one dive with 4 pounds of trim weighting. It does help. But I find that the correct amount of air in the BC post dive on the surface may be the edge in staying vertical . I tend to max fill my BC at the surface.

You going to try a Hydros out? I really think Scubapro is onto something going forward.

Thank you for reading the whole damn thing :)

I actually did surface one dive with 4 pounds of trim weighting. It does help. But I find that the correct amount of air in the BC post dive on the surface may be the edge in staying vertical . I tend to max fill my BC at the surface.

You going to try a Hydros out? I really think Scubapro is onto something going forward.

I'd like to try it for sure but right now I am in Libya and I'll have to travel outside Libya to be able to get my hands on one so it will be a while before I am able to do it. I need a drysuit and a BC that will go with it so this maybe it.

I tried it again this weekend in fresh water.

I wear 14lbs of lead with a 7mm Henderson Aqualock wetsuit, steel 100, (4lbs in the trim pockets 2lbs apiece), the rest in the weight pockets.

I had absolutely no problem staying stable at the surface either at the beginning, or at the end of both dives.

I found that the air distribution in the wing varied a bit through the dive. Purpose of these dives was to put it through some exercises to see how it reacted. First done on the platforms at 25', then inside/outside the Bombardier at 55' at Dutch Springs. My buddy reported that it seemed to favor filling on one side of the wing. It was not quite even - always tilting me to the left. This happened on two dives. I was uber careful about the way that I mounted the tank on the second dive but it happened again. I'll take it to the pool this week and play with it some more.

The fit of the harness is incredibly tight and comfortable. After my second dive, I gave it to a buddy to try. He picked it up and could not believe that it was "dry" already. I also agree that it is VERY easy to doff and don. The straps stay curved and are easy to slip your hands inside. This is really nice for my left shoulder which has limited mobility with its steel clavicle. Overall I'm enjoying diving it so far.

I just watched the video and have to say I am impressed by some of the things I saw. Others not so much but that is just personal preference. I'd like to dive one. I'd never pay 840 bucks for a BC myself, but I'd like to see how it works in the water. Some good ideas.
Also like the comments about divers looking like Christmas trees and keeping a straight face as well as acknowledging that the pockets on most BC's are crap. I'd have to guess they are talking about their own as well.

Just went to my LDS today and got in the pool with the Knighthawk, Seahawk, and Hydros. Without a question getting the Hydros, just get in the water with one!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom