Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rational is that the thread should be discussion of a particular bed with other options. I agree there should be a thread for bp/w set-up.

The Hydros seems overpriced to me and I own and enjoy a SP bcd. And yeah it was less $ than a bp/w. Fit right off the shelf and is easy to use. May not be the very best but it works.

Even more tempted knowing that they come in the same colour as my orange 'gorilla' fins. and they are interchangeable so I can go black if I use my split-fins.

I agree price is a bit steep but that's normally not a barrier for me to buy. Once its paid for the cost is normally forgotten a few weeks later.....

Not yet seen any for sale in my local dive shops?.

I saw the Hydros in person at my LDS.
It's about what I figured from the start, gimmicky.
I don't know why these companies think they need to re-invent the wheel all the time with new stuff that doesn't really change anything or essentially add anything that I would consider a collosal "breakthrough". This thing certainly does not. I like the shape of the pack and and least it has somewhat cutaway sides for clearance for shoulder blades, but still too many clips. The wing I saw was too big for any single tank and had bungees. It looked really overstuffed and too big for the rig. I guess the rubber shoulder straps are OK but I wonder what's better about the material than just ordinary webbing? I wonder if down the road it could let loose if there is an nick in the side similar to how a rubber weightbelt can let go if there is a nick in the side to get a rip started. Webbing won't rip and at least will have telling signs of wear. I've seen Nova's crack at the hinge even after they supposedly redesigned them for the fix and someone mentioned it's the same material. I'm sure SP will warrantee it for life but what about pain in the ass factor if you're on a trip?
The weight pockets are removable and a regular waist strap can be put on, but I was confused if it's a strap made of the same rubber and something that has to be purchased from SP or is it something that can be DIY'd?
I didn't like the squeeze clip for the waist strap but at least they lost the cumberbun! And then a crotch strap is available but no info if it's a specially manufactured add on or something that can be DIY'd.

This whole thing got me thinking, Scubapro and all the others at one time all had backpacks in their line, and at one time SP had a unit that was pretty close to a BP/W. Then, all that was lost when the Stab Jacket came in and of course everyone had to follow suit, and so the poodle jacket was born.
Now they come out with this thing trying to almost go retro somehow and go minimalist. Why? What motivated them when it seems the regular jackets still have a firm grip on the market.

They had it right at one time!! Talk about short memory! Maybe they feel they need to have stuff look kind of gimmicky because they think people will not buy it or think it's any good if it's not somewhat complicated, I don't know?

Still, the most basic system currently is a BP/W, if someone wants a straight forward no frills BC that is in the true spirit of minimalist diving (equipment that is reduced down to the simplest terms - take only what you need).

If you want frills then don't buy a BP/W because you will be disapointed at how simple they are, and cost effective too.

Last edited:
My rationale is simple. In almost any thread where someone asks a question or makes a comment about a BCD (back inflate, jacket style or hybrid), one can expect to see generalized negative comments about BCDs (as opposed to BPWs) within the first 3-4 posts and often the comments are little or nothing more than a an attack on any device that is not a BPW, typically including referring to them ans introductory or beginner devices and frequently referring to all brands and styles as "jackets." I often see comments along the lines that the only people who would prefer a BCD must need the side squeeze of a jacket to calm them while in the water. Typically the BPW disciples then take over the thread, talking about different brands and styles of BPW, different webbing systems, which wing is better for doubles, etc. The poor OP who was asking about something else likely just gives up and goes away. That is rude, plain and simple. If one person said something like "Hey, you might also want to consider a BPW, I like mine and you should feel free to PM me if you want to want to talk about that"... I would have no real issue.

Yes, a BPW is a buoyancy device and therefore technically a "BCD" but that is just wordplay. The issue is that not everyone wants a BPW and they are not inherently superior for everyone in every situation, but the proponents of the BPW seem to have some uncontrollable urge to force their love of the things on everyone else. I don't care whether it is or is not better than something else for you, if some guy or girl asks about a scubapro vs an aqualung or a back-inflate vest a jacket style, they don't always need a lecture about how they should go buy a steel backplate BPW because it is better. In my opinion this simply stifles open discussion and I would bet it intimidates some people out of feeling free to ask questions or state preferences.

Frankly, I can dive fine in a jacket BCD, a back-inflate or a BPW but for me and for how and where I dive, a back inflate BCD is what I like best; I like integrated weights and and a pocket or two. I have no desire to fly with a steel backplate or wear a weight belt. By the time one adds pockets and weights to a BPW, it is simply a badly designed BCD. And the BCDs I use trim out fine, fit well, are easy to pack, comfortable and easy to use. I also don't care when people want to point out how economically they can put together a BPW. I can afford to buy what I want and don't need to use BPW to save money. But that doesn't mean that what suits me is better for the next guy and it doesn't mean I am a better diver or more knowledgeable or less knowledgeable than someone who prefers something else.

I am glad you like your BPW; I hope you enjoy it for many years to come but I was interested in reading about this new BCD, simply because I am interested in new products and new designs and innovations, even when ultimately I might conclude they are not desirable. It is hard though, to read such a discussion or participate in it when it is quickly and vigorously derailed by people who want to talk about something else.

Even more tempted knowing that they come in the same colour as my orange 'gorilla' fins. and they are interchangeable so I can go black if I use my split-fins.

I agree price is a bit steep but that's normally not a barrier for me to buy. Once its paid for the cost is normally forgotten a few weeks later.....

Not yet seen any for sale in my local dive shops?.

Looks like I was wrong my LDS now has them in stock. Going to have to take a look

Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

I tried one on last weekend. It was OK. I actually thought the Knighthawk fit better. I got the feeling that it would ride up, not sure why, maybe the lack of a cummerbund. I think it is great that it may dry better but I am not sure I see how it was so revolutionary. Maybe the material grips neoprene better and prevents it from riding up and/or some of the modular components that are supposed to be released will make it so. I wanted to like it but could not see why it was >$200 more than the knighthawk. Maybe I was missing something. It also seemed a bit heavy

I am way off topic form the original post - Is it better to just go with 2 wings? Which may answer the original issue of BPW. Then swap as the dive needs. Harness and plate would stay. I am pricing to a Diverite and DSS setup, so likely heading this way. The savings of the potential price on the Hydros is leading me to a two wing set up. Overkill?

Bill,

When I am in the US (Colorado) I work out of Flatirons in Broomfield and they are a great source for equipment and training...ask for Rob, the owner.

Flatirons sells both "traditional" BCDs and BP/Ws and if you are looking for just one they can help with match your diving with equipment.

The ScubaPro Hydro Pro resembles a hybrid BCD harness with a synthetic plate and a wing. I purchased a Dive Rite Transplate years ago and while it was nice at the time, once I switched to BP/W the characteristics were so much nicer and noticeable. I have used the Transplate only two times since and have not missed it.

In my opinion if you want a good BCD than the ScubaPro Glide X is hard to beat. I have about 400 dives on one I bought 3 years ago from Flatirons and it is still my favorite BDC. I love how it fits and holds me in the water. I use it to teach in and when the time comes to replace it I will with another Glide X.

When I decided to move on from my Dive Rite Transplate I looked around on the internet, mainly Scubaboard, and found DSS. I called Tobin at DSS and he walked me thru my diving in Colorado and future dive needs and set me up with a great BP/W. This was before I found Flatirons. Rob at Flatirons can do the same for you , but in person. He sales Halycon, but can order BP/W from ScubaPro if interested. Even though I have a DSS system, I still find Flatirons to be helpful in the different accessories that you will need from time to time. Thus Rob makes a great local reference source.

I have been very pleased and happy with my DSS system as well as my Halcyon systems that I go from Rob.

So it all depends on your desires and style of diving you want to do.

~Oldbear~

My rationale is simple. In almost any thread where someone asks a question or makes a comment about a BCD (back inflate, jacket style or hybrid), one can expect to see generalized negative comments about BCDs (as opposed to BPWs) within the first 3-4 posts and often the comments are little or nothing more than a an attack on any device that is not a BPW, typically including referring to them ans introductory or beginner devices and frequently referring to all brands and styles as "jackets." I often see comments along the lines that the only people who would prefer a BCD must need the side squeeze of a jacket to calm them while in the water. Typically the BPW disciples then take over the thread, talking about different brands and styles of BPW, different webbing systems, which wing is better for doubles, etc. The poor OP who was asking about something else likely just gives up and goes away. That is rude, plain and simple. If one person said something like "Hey, you might also want to consider a BPW, I like mine and you should feel free to PM me if you want to want to talk about that"... I would have no real issue.

Yes, a BPW is a buoyancy device and therefore technically a "BCD" but that is just wordplay. The issue is that not everyone wants a BPW and they are not inherently superior for everyone in every situation, but the proponents of the BPW seem to have some uncontrollable urge to force their love of the things on everyone else. I don't care whether it is or is not better than something else for you, if some guy or girl asks about a scubapro vs an aqualung or a back-inflate vest a jacket style, they don't always need a lecture about how they should go buy a steel backplate BPW because it is better. In my opinion this simply stifles open discussion and I would bet it intimidates some people out of feeling free to ask questions or state preferences.

Frankly, I can dive fine in a jacket BCD, a back-inflate or a BPW but for me and for how and where I dive, a back inflate BCD is what I like best; I like integrated weights and and a pocket or two. I have no desire to fly with a steel backplate or wear a weight belt. By the time one adds pockets and weights to a BPW, it is simply a badly designed BCD. And the BCDs I use trim out fine, fit well, are easy to pack, comfortable and easy to use. I also don't care when people want to point out how economically they can put together a BPW. I can afford to buy what I want and don't need to use BPW to save money. But that doesn't mean that what suits me is better for the next guy and it doesn't mean I am a better diver or more knowledgeable or less knowledgeable than someone who prefers something else.

I am glad you like your BPW; I hope you enjoy it for many years to come but I was interested in reading about this new BCD, simply because I am interested in new products and new designs and innovations, even when ultimately I might conclude they are not desirable. It is hard though, to read such a discussion or participate in it when it is quickly and vigorously derailed by people who want to talk about something else.

:clapping: :thumb: :heart:

It has gotten so bad here because of the BPW cyberbullies, people are scared to engage in discussions of this sort on SB. I have MANY people send me PM's of support when I am involved in these discussions and they always express their extreme hesitation to get involved in the discussions because of the expected attacks by the BPW bullies. One particular extremely aggressive and rude BPW vendor on SB is just plain rude and is a bully. This vendor along with his entourage dominate the BCD discussions and get involved in harassing the unsuspecting members who happen to inquire about BCD's and don't have the knowledge or insights of what's going on here on SB. It just makes for a totally obnoxious threatening environment. I find it impossible to recommend SB to any of my friends or students because of this bullying taking place on SB.

One of the worst things these bullies do is their constant attempts to convince other SB members, especially the new ones, that their LDS is trying to scam them because the LDS is trying to sell them a BCD jacket. They attack the credibility and integrity of all LDS' and make them appear as charlatans to their students and potential customers.

Last edited:
Oh man . Takes two to Tango.

The bp/w crowd does hijack threads but personal feuds with other posters gets old too.

You have reason to disagree with that opinion but I only see one guy that really bashes the lds.

How does it go? Argue with an idiot and an onlooker might not know which one is which. Something like that.

Back
Top Bottom