Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just read the SP product page for this BC. While the majority of the page was Marketing BS I did like the fact that they have a crotch strap as an accessory.

Looks like it was designed by the same bunch that are working on the F35 or the navy's littoral combat ships.

I too was looking at this setup and came across this thread. It seems to be geared towards rec divers who want little fuss, IMHO. I have 50 some dives and looking to get out of my jacket BCD. This looks great but have also been considering a BPW rig. With so many options it is a little overwhelming. I live in CO and dive at altitude at times with daughter and friends. Also, dive in SC when visiting family. And the usual carribean diving. Hoping for a Red Sea dive next year. So, I am all over the place with 3-7 mm.

Looking at DSS, I created this rig: Single Tank Rig w/ Large Hybrid Kydex plate, Hogarthian Harness, Torus 26, Full Circle Style Single Tank Wing

I am 6' and medium build. 26# may be a bit more lift but if I use 7mm then may be needed? I like integrated weights but can go back to a belt.

So, seeing the potential price of the Hydros is making me re-think the BPW setup. I think Flatirons in Boulder has some BPW but my LDS is really the standard fare.

If you are always diving with a wetsuit, or only diving aluminum tanks without a wetsuit I would go steel.

6' and medium build indicates medium backplate which is the "Standard" size in the industry, designed literally around a normal 180lb male of about 6'. I prefer the LCD30 the Torus 26, especially if you are diving a 7mm with a steel tank.

If you are always diving with a wetsuit, or only diving aluminum tanks without a wetsuit I would go steel.

6' and medium build indicates medium backplate which is the "Standard" size in the industry, designed literally around a normal 180lb male of about 6'. I prefer the LCD30 the Torus 26, especially if you are diving a 7mm with a steel tank.

I am way off topic form the original post - Is it better to just go with 2 wings? Which may answer the original issue of BPW. Then swap as the dive needs. Harness and plate would stay. I am pricing to a Diverite and DSS setup, so likely heading this way. The savings of the potential price on the Hydros is leading me to a two wing set up. Overkill?

two wings for single tank is likely overkill and most people I know only have one singles wing in the 30lb range. Most of us do have 2 wings, but one is for doubles in the 50lb range, and the other for singles.

I think it is really sad and more than a little bit rude that the BPW zealots have to jump into almost every thread about a BCD and preach about the BPW. Regardless of the potential benefits of the BPW for some people, it is just really annoying that people aren't permitted to discuss BCDs without having the thread derailed into into a BPW lecture and often, debate and just as often, a complete thread hijack.

I am beginning to think that there should be a sub-forum for BPWs and a prohibition on discussing them in the BCD forum.

explain your rationale?

Did you read the OP? Specifically where it said "I was going to get a wing type for when I want to move into more 'tech' diving. I wonder if this will tempt me into a purchase?"

So based on that sentence, the OP opened the doors wide open for the BP/W vs this thing discussion and there is no reason not to discuss the pros and cons. A bp/w is every bit as much of a buoyancy compensation device as any jackets out there, and until someone actually gives me a real reason why they should actually be seriously considered over a bp/w, the discussion is going to happen. If you have a good reason why a new diver should actually use one, then let's hear it, but no one has yet to show me one except for one very weird incidence where someone had anxiety problems and the squeeze from the jacket was enough to calm her down. I wouldn't have certified her if that was a condition though, so that is only a half valid argument

Yes, I have seen the Scubapro Hydros. It may be a game changer. Can't wait to dive it?

The Hydros Pro came from the same designer as the Nova fins. I hope it is as successful. It certainly will bring needed innovation & vibrance to our sport!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom