Diving within reasonable reach of the UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would choose Malta. They have a big focus on diving there with plenty on man made wrecks and other diving facilities. Having just come back from the Canaries I would prefer Malta

I am pretty sure that there are flights from UK to Hurgada. To make a 7 days diving cruise in the red sea is VERY safe and the best time/price for what you will experience. I am going there EVERY YEAR.

Malta?ive never been but told its great and not too far from the uk. No idea about temps/conditions that time of year though.
I went to Malta with my daughter in November last year, when our Sharm trip got canned. If you enjoy wrecks, this is definitely an option. The sea should still be quite warm - I was in a 5mm wetsuit throughout, no hood or gloves, with no problems. The weather up top might not be too hot, though, We lost a couple of days due to strong winds, and it rained as often as it didn't.

One big plus is that it's only 3 hours from Manchester.

A liveaboard out of Hurghada sounds like a great option. I did two weeks out of Port Ghalib (Marsa Alam) in April/May and had a fantastic time. The prices appear to be very good currently. I saw a couple of the Blue O Two boats while I was out.
Yes, there lots of good options for liveaboards. Or consider actually staying in Marsa Alam/Port Ghalib and do day/boat diving from there. There are some decent hotels going dirt cheap at present - I'm off there myself in a fortnight.

Thomson do a direct flight from Gatwick to Marsa Alam once a week, on a Wednesday. If that's too restrictive, Hurghada itself may be a better option.

Yes, there lots of good options for liveaboards. Or consider actually staying in Marsa Alam/Port Ghalib and do day/boat diving from there. There are some decent hotels going dirt cheap at present - I'm off there myself in a fortnight.

Thomson do a direct flight from Gatwick to Marsa Alam once a week, on a Wednesday. If that's too restrictive, Hurghada itself may be a better option.
Given the choice, I would fly in and out of Marsa Alam and avoid the 3 hour drive from Hurghada. I stayed at the Marina Lodge and dived with Emperor Divers for a day before getting on the RSA for 2 weeks

Last edited:
when I did a liveaboard from hurghada, I was the only non british diver onboard!! turned out, a dive club from Manchester chartered the boat. so, apparently, somebody did a last minute cancellation and I had to share the room.

the reason why I'm saying all of this, because they all came direct from the UK. I have heard that after the latest plane incident, some countries have suspended air traffic to Egypt ( or maybe the sinai peninsula only) but that was almost 5 months ago!! but in any case, it takes 1 hour (plane) from cairo to hurghada.

I did Cozumel btw, althought for only 1 day, 2 tanks, when my cave instructor was participating in iron man for a charity. I have to say, Cozumel is nowhere even close to red sea. get in touch with Blue O 2, they must have the latest update.

[QUOTE="
I did Cozumel btw, althought for only 1 day, 2 tanks, when my cave instructor was participating in iron man for a charity. I have to say, Cozumel is nowhere even close to red sea. get in touch with Blue O 2, they must have the latest update.[/QUOTE]

I go to Hurghada with Turkish with a stop in Istambul.

"Nowhere even close" in what sense? What is better ? Thank you

althought it was only for 1 day in Cozumel, my impression is that the visiability, marine life and quality of reef is better in the red sea. I know 1 day doesnt do cozmel any justice.

Thanks for the Clarification. We are in agreement then. In terms of species of fishes and hard coral, I have NEVER seen a site in the carribean bassin that comes close to the Red Sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom